Thread: 2.0 motor advise

2.0 motor advise

My 1966 2.0 motor is apart and ready to put back together. Mechanic say's everything looks good only thing of concern is the intermediate shaft "bearing" surfaces. He say's the earily 2.0"s did not have an actual bearing, they rode on the case

He feels this surface may be getting close to the limit and may look into having the case bored and put in the later bearing plates. He said that mine left alone may last a long time but asked me to ask the community for your thoughts.
    Has this been a problem with these earily motors. Is his idea of the later bearing a good fix. I checked with our local machine shop (356) and he has not done this for a 911. Your thoughts/ideas are This is my first 911 and looking forward to driving this car.
    Bob
    Nor Cal

Bob,

The usual shops, Ollies, Competition Engineering etc. can cut your aluminum case for the later bearings. This is about a $700 modification. It's a great fix, it's just expensive.

Have you done the oil bypass mod, piston squirters and the rest of the updates? Might as well do these while it is apart.

What are the precise dimensions of your intermediate shaft bore and shaft? "May be getting close to the limit" well how close and what limit? I would start with that. Then there's the issue of how much backlash in the intermediate shaft gears, that's another measurement. In order to advise you on these things your mechanic must have made the measurements, so give him a ring and ask him what they are.

When I rebuilt '065's motor the bore was fine so I left it. The mag case motors wear a great deal in this area. Not so much the aluminum case.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I would recommend new or have Ollies drill more holes in your spraybars .