Thread: Two Porsche 911 SC shift levers modified for aftermarket knobs and a tall person!

Two Porsche 911 SC shift levers modified for aftermarket knobs and a tall person!

Two Porsche 911 SC shift levers modified for aftermarket knobs!

I am selling the first Porsche 911 SC shift lever that I modified so that I can put aftermarket shift knobs on it. This was on my 1981 911 SC but I installed a factory short shift kit on my car recently, so I am selling it. It should fit other year 911 SCs that use the same lever as the 1981.

I modified this shift lever so I could toss the ugly plastic cheap looking factory shift knob and the now near-impossible to find crush sleeve that they require and use the knob I ordered from EPCO that matches my paint job and looks and feels 300% nicer! Plus it was only around $33.50 bucks for EPCO to custom make the knob for me! Compare that to the $125 plus bucks for the factory plastic knob setup that looks like it came off a 1965 VW bug.

I first carefully drilled a hole in the lever in two places and then mig welded the threaded shaft inside for a super strong setup. Then I painstakingly ground and sanded the weld flush and painted the shaft. It looks good!

I am also be selling a second 1981 911 SC shift lever that I cut and re-welded to angle over an inch or two to fit my tall legs. I also put the threaded shaft on it. It cures the under-the-knee shift knob syndrome that used to drive me crazy when going into first gear. It feels exactly like the factory setup and shifts just the same, but places the knob to the right a little bit more to clear my knee (I am 6’4” tall). I would not go back to using a stock lever and have used this angled one I modified for years. I also cut my new short shift kit lever and did the same thing to it.

The last image shows the stock vs the angled lever before I refinished them.

You will love it every time you sit in your Porsche and shift gears. Thread size is standard 3/8 X 16.

Levers are $25 each. Shipping would be $6.00 to USA destinations.

gtrguy06@netscape.com
    Attached Images Attached Images