Thread: Transmission number which one is right one?

Transmission number which one is right one?

how many numbers is it?

i got two different ones from the kardex and the seller

but just missing one number, so im sure its matching and the same one

Transmission# 7322337 from the seller

and as the kardex #322337

which one is right?

The number from the seller is the correct one:

7 = 6-cylinder
    3 = 5-speed with optional ratios
    2 = 1972
    2337 = sequential serial number
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I spoke with Porsche Rep when I received my coa, which left the forst 7 off the transmission number, and listed the paint code as 11 for light ivory even though the plate shows 131. She explained to me it is common for Porsche to shorten them.

I agree that Porsche often leaves off the first digit of the transmission number on documents. I have seen it a number of times and it always confuses me
    I have no idea what is the reason for this
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I am also not sure why the leading 7 in the transmission # is generally missing. Perhaps they felt it was redundant and could save them a character in the computer database; back then (1970's) memory was very small and very expensive, remember the 1980's 286 computer where 1MB of ram was $x00 and was considered huge. I think that in the 1970's 1 MB of ram was in the $x000, so not a resource to squander.

The paint codes are another story. The factory records seem to use the two digit code series started in 1970 MY (and lasting only 1970 & 1971) for much longer than they should have. The 3 digit code started in 1972 MY (as used on the badge) but the records were just two digit. There is a table to compare them. Why PCNA does not convert to save time and aggravation I don't know, but it does confuse owners who don't know the system.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers