Thread: '72 engine compartment sound mat

'72 engine compartment sound mat

I did a search, read the threads...more confused than ever after on line shopping

the engine sound mat on my '72 Targa has finally fallen..bad timing too

Not only are the choices in weight, 1lb to 4lbs to 6lbs but in material, foil vs. foam..Is foil the way to go? Not a fan of the way it looks? Also sound dampener vs. soundproofing

Bottom line, what has been working best?

I read on Pelican that people have installed the pad with the engine still in, using magnets to hold it in place. Anyone here try it? I REALLY don't want to pull the motor

links from 3 of the more common vendors used

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_TOOL=ON

http://stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplay...ound+Deadening

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com..._detail&p=8614

Not supposed to be this difficult, maybe I'm trying too hard..or just bored and looking at too many places
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Ray,

I went with the lightweight 'skinned' foam and never looked back... I did put mine in with the engine out.

However I would think the lightweight pad wouldn't be much trouble with the engine in.... air cleaner and all breather hoses off of course....

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

engine sound pad

We used to use the official Porsche pad, but I got tired of seeing fall down two years later because the foam comes apart (not a glue failure) We started using the closed density foam from that comes precut from Appbiz. It NEVER falls down. And I don't thing I've yet been gigged on it in concours. You can install it with engine in, but dropped down a bit in the rear by unbolting the crossbar and lowering the engine slightly on a jack. Put protectors over the upper shock bolts, and then fit the pad so that it will line up properly with the retaining tabs on top of the engine bay, then let the pad fall down on top of the engine but with the pad still stuffed into the cross member. Wear latex gloves, spray adhesive about 6-7 inches up the bulkhead and pad, stick that part only, check for fitment in the tabs, keep slowly working your way up the bulkhead. When you're spraying and sticking the final few inches the pad should line up in the tabs evenly. Big thing is make sure you have the pad exactly where you want it before any sticky stuff gets started.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.