Thread: Steering column removal help

Steering column removal help

I can't seem to figure out how to remove the bolt the holds the steering column support bracket to the dash. I can see the end of the bolt in the trunk, on the back side of the dash, but there's no apparent head on the inside of the car. Appreciate help with whatever I'm missing! Thx Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mpotvin View Post
    I can't seem to figure out how to remove the bolt the holds the steering column support bracket to the dash. I can see the end of the bolt in the trunk, on the back side of the dash, but there's no apparent head on the inside of the car. Appreciate help with whatever I'm missing! Thx Mark
    What year is your car? It makes a big difference in steering columns.

Regards

Jim

Oh yeah.... 1968 911 soft window targa

There are three bolts holding the column to the dash, and they are special bolts where the head shears off at a certain torque, This is/was a security feature I believe as similar, smaller bolts were used on the ignition switch.

Anyway getting them out is a PITA as obviously there is now no longer any head on the bolt. I have removed them with a hammer and small cold chisel, just angling the chisel to try to get the head to turn a/c. Another option is a Dremmel or angle grinder with a cutting disc, and cutting a slot in the head and then using a screwdriver with a vice-grip on the shaft to give you more leverage. Others might chip in with their solutions. I just reinstall with normal Allen head bolts.

Mick

Herre is a 68 column removed from the vehicle. Look at the "breakoff" bolt. It has been slotted for removal. Yes, they are a PITA.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Get yourself a sharp chisel and just knock them undone. It is pretty easy and doesn't take long. Then just buy new from Porsche and install (2 long front ones and the short rear), they will snap of once tighten as per original. With the column out we also always strip it down and replace the bearing, it is again pretty easy and the bearings not to expensive.

HTH

Alan

Thanks for the help! Mark

I have slotted the head with a grinder then unscrewed it with a screwdriver. Worked great. Make sure you don't get sloppy with the grinder though. An old disc with a smaller diameter enables you to get in there easier without nicking the column.
    Good luck.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437