Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS Original 1970-71 Recaro Sport "S" Seats with Tilting Bases and Sliders!!

FS Original 1970-71 Recaro Sport "S" Seats with Tilting Bases and Sliders!!

These are the real deal, genuine early 911 sport seats by Recaro, in perforated finish as optional on 1970-71 911's and maybe some of the earlier cars.

Very nice shape, the drivers side has some cracks in it but I was recently told a good vinyl guy can patch them - they're too nice and original to re-cover! Passenger seat is about as perfect as you're going to get for 40+ years old. Plus, they are by far the most comfortable sport seats I've sat in, drivers seat specifically, as they're perfect worn in.

These come with correct Recaro tilting bases and sliders, ready to bolt in!

Located in SF, will ship if need be.

I've seen prices ranging from $4,500 to $10k depending on condition, originality and tilt bases or not. I'm asking $6k.

Last edited by tsol; 10-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.

GLWS, but there is some work to be done with these seats. The foam bottoms will need to be replaced along with the stretched webbing. The bottoms may be pretty easy to repair, but the bolsters is going to be the challenge. There are a some replicators of the perforated material (which I think is added bling), but holes sizes vary and leaving one seat original and one refinished is sure to bring attention to an experienced eye. Buyer should expect $1000 of repair work to make these nice.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Thanks. Why do you say the foam bottoms need to be replaced? Is it a matter of safety? They're quite comfortable being worn in as they are, especially compared to newly re-done seats...

Quote Originally Posted by tsol View Post
    Thanks. Why do you say the foam bottoms need to be replaced? Is it a matter of safety? They're quite comfortable being worn in as they are, especially compared to newly re-done seats...
    This is not a commentary on your seats, just a bit of personal experience that hopefully answers your question:

The problem with most re-upholsered seats - especially sport seats - is that the webbing is too stiff and you sit ON the seat rather than IN the seat. Sacked out webbing and beat down foam in sport seats actually gets your butt down IN the seat and between the bolsters which is both more comfortable and more laterally supportive when driving spiritedly through the canyons.

However, the bottom line is that, like an old pair of shoes, just when they start to feel the best is when they should be replaced. They are broken down and offer little to no support which, in the case of shoes, can lead to spinal alignment issues and foot issues and, in the case of seats, can have you bumping into the seat base with your backside and destroying the underlying structure of foam and steel (sport seat bolsters are just tubular steel tack welded to the frame to support the foam and they bend/break rather easily) because the load is not distributed in the correct areas.

All that said, however, there is nothing I like more than a worn-in (not worn out) pair of sport seats ... early, late-model, doesn't matter.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Didn't a really nice pair sell about a month or so ago for $6K. If memory serves me correctly they were re-upholsered needing nothing. I think Cornpanzer was the seller.

R Gruppe #631
    Early 911S Registry #1825

1973E Coupe

Thumbs up

The problem with most re-upholsered seats - especially sport seats - is that the webbing is too stiff and you sit ON the seat rather than IN the seat.
    Excellent comments Marco....

I had my 23 year old re-done driver's seat just re-webbed and not re-cushioned about 5 years ago (thank you Levon R.I.P) with great results...

I personally think these basket weave inserts/perforated bolsters 2.2 sport seats were the prettiest single material combo they made...

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I had a 69 E with the same pattern sport seats and I agree with Chuck, nicest combo offered by Porsche at the time. Although I love houndstooth inserts, the basketweave struck me as more fitting (as the dash was usually also basketweave), sporty and masculine so to speak.
    I have a set of 68 only with the identical basket and perforated combo in museum condition, I doubt they were in a car for more than a trial, likely the best I have ever came across.
    I sold a set in the same condition as the OP's (with one bolster issue also)earlier this year for $6k very quickly on this board so not sure what to ask for the incredibly mint ones I now have. that makes them rarer after all since for 68 only due to the brackets. I'll start a new thread when I unwrap them.
    GLWS

here's the old ad: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...em-sport-seats
    Last edited by EARLY911ZOO; 10-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Thanks, that is a valid reference point. I've lowered the price.

Nineapart has a perfect original set for $6000 as another reference point. 72 seats in that case.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Any info as to the quality or originality of the seats at nineapart would be appreciated.