Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: G.GIUNTA 1960 steering wheel

Quote Originally Posted by ribachio View Post
    Note : these were after-market handmade wheels for mid 60's Lamborghini 350GT / 400GT Monza; proper for period 550 speedster and 356 roadster
    I stumbled across this thread and found it interesting. Did it sell with the hub for Porsche? Odd, I have never seen a G. Giunta on a Porsche. It is true that they were made for Lamborghini in a limited quantity of 30, then outsourced to AMAS, who made more for other cars with the spoke design but maybe or maybe not the Giunta signature. The ones that went on the Lambos were (or mostly) 375mm. This one sold is a larger diameter version - I wonder if made by Guliano or AMAS.

The price was very good, especially with hub included.

I ended up buying one of these wheels from Ribachio after seeing this for sale.
    It was a light wood colored rim with AMAS Torino engraved on both sides of the rim.
    There was no other signature on the frame. Woodrim, Is there any more information you can provide about AMAS?
    I bought the wheel to use on a 1964 Abarth Simca 2000.
    Scott Marshall
    911 S Registry member#724
    1981 Porsche 911SC
    1993 Porsche 968 Clubsport
    1961 Abarth Record Monza, 1964 Abarth Simca 2000
    1962 Abarth 1000GT, 1964 Abarth 850TC Nurburgring

Quote Originally Posted by teescott View Post
    I ended up buying one of these wheels from Ribachio after seeing this for sale.
    It was a light wood colored rim with AMAS Torino engraved on both sides of the rim.
    There was no other signature on the frame. Woodrim, Is there any more information you can provide about AMAS?
    I bought the wheel to use on a 1964 Abarth Simca 2000.

Hello Scott. Giuliano Giunta passed away in 2019 at the age of 77. He was a very young man when he made the steering wheels. He was an artist his entire life and spent it all in Bologna. He only made 30 of the wheels for Lamborghini, which went on the the 350 Gt and the one 1966 400 GT Monza. Lamborghini asked him to produce more, but Giuliano did not see himself as a steering wheel builder and had already moved on to other projects. He gave the pattern to AMAS, which was also in Bologna. Apparently, AMAS made several versions of the wheel in different diameters and with various hole sizes in the spokes and marketed them for different cars. I do not know if AMAS produced any for Lamborghini. Lambo may have just moved on to using the Hellebori wheels.
    AMAS didn't last long in business.

I had the opportunity to communicate with Mr. Giunta through an interpreter back around 2016-2018. He was not aware that AMAS had placed their stamping on the wheels; he thought they were putting his name on them, so he must have provided them with a stamp. He did not mention anything about different diameters and from what I can observe in pictures, the ones on the Lambo cars appear to be 375mm. I believe they were all engine turned but some today have had all but traces of the turning polished away.

I acquired an original G. Giunta back around 10 years ago that badly needed restoration. I copied the design and proceeded to search for information about G. Giunta. I found nothing. Only then did I feel it was okay to make a G. Giunta stamp, believing that the person or company was long gone. It was a friend of Giuliano's that contacted me after seeing my wheel in a search. He was involved in restoring a car for Mr. Giunta and was interested in buying one of my wheels. I was surprised to learn that Giuliano was still around and immediately concerned because I had copied his signature. The fellow told me that Giuliano was flattered that I had reproduced his wheel and not concerned that I had a stamp. I was quite relieved and also flattered that he might want one of my wheels. I asked and was told that he had no interest in building one for himself. Other than that, I learned that my identification of the species of mahogany was correct. I was told that Giuliano lived a simple life in his old shop, dabbling with different small projects, and did not have internet or even a cell phone.

I've seen several of the AMAS versions intended for various cars. They all looked close enough to his original design, although maybe not perfectly. Like with many other things, there's only one original. I do think mine is a faithful copy except that my engine turning is much more precise than what Giuliano had done by hand and eye. I have an original of the 390mm here now and will be making a pattern. I can't say that Giuliano made it but can't say for sure he didn't. Since it has his signature, I will consider it a G. Giunta and add it to my offerings.

Regards,
    Mike Lempert
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/woodri...57713167455343

Mike thanks for all this valuable information. I mistakenly said my AMAS wheel was labeled Torino but it is Bologna, as you mentioned. These wheels are very nicely proportioned and would look great on many 60’s sports cars.
    Scott Marshall
    911 S Registry member#724
    1981 Porsche 911SC
    1993 Porsche 968 Clubsport
    1961 Abarth Record Monza, 1964 Abarth Simca 2000
    1962 Abarth 1000GT, 1964 Abarth 850TC Nurburgring