Thread: 16mm diameter Rear Sway Bars

16mm diameter Rear Sway Bars

We needed a few 16mm diameter Rear Sway Bars to fit to SWB cars and it was easier to form them locally than search for good used parts.

They are made from 4340 Heat Treated to 30 HRC and then Cold Formed.

Next step is shot peening and painting with a Polyurethane paint.

I have some 18mm bars of the same style in production and should be ready within a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    We needed a few 16mm diameter Rear Sway Bars to fit to SWB cars and it was easier to form them locally than search for good used parts.

They are made from 4340 Heat Treated to 30 HRC and then Cold Formed.

Next step is shot peening and painting with a Polyurethane paint.

I have some 18mm bars of the same style in production and should be ready within a couple of weeks.
    I like it, Chris. Do you have the holes pre-drilled or is that left to the end user on the bars you will be selling?

PM me pricing details, please.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Good move Chris...

Marco, I think I do see the pre-drilled holes in Chris' picture
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

They have the holes drilled and we have sourced Stainless Steel M16 Form C Washers which have a 34mm OD, 3mm thick and 4mm x 32 Split Pins also stainless steel.

For the 18mm bars Form A washers are 34mm OD and again are 3mm thick.

The rubber bushes are a real pain and in UK from Porsche cost $50 each and the 'shop' discount is around 7.5% so it makes it difficult to reduce price.

Polybushes are available in 16mm and 18mm from Superflex, Superpro and Powerflex but they are either Blue, Yellow or Mauve (Ugh) and I just don't want to supply these.

I have commissioned 90 Shore A uprated bushes in Black and they should arrive in about 2 weeks so we can supply bushes at a more reasonable price.

Sway bars will be $200 with washers and spit pins and Bushes will be $110 for 4.

18mm bars will be $250 each with bushes at the same price.

The increase in price for the 18mm bar is not really due to raw material cost.

I have tried to buy a 4340 steel (or similar) in 18mm dia for around 6 weeks but it is not a size kept by any stockholder that I can find.

I have had to buy 3/4" dia (19.05mm) and have it ground to the correct size which is a real pain but the only practical solution for the small volumes involved. The grinding cost is the main reason for the increase.

We have just made a pattern so we can produce a cast steel Sway Bar Mounting plate to weld in the shell and replace the flimsy pressing.
    Last edited by chris_seven; 10-05-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Nice!!

Powerflex will make you any bush in a harder black shore, just ask.

All mine are black, much harder wearing then the purple rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post

We have just made a pattern so we can produce a cast steel Sway Bar Mounting plate to weld in the shell and replace the flimsy pressing.
    Hi Chris,

Great project! Are you planning to make a stronger sway bar mounting plate for the SWB cars too?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Bert, we are making the plate to suit 65-72 cars so that they will fit without modification unlike some of the other plates you can find.

The One -Piece RSR Style Sway bars are also on their way to completion.

This is great Chris. I'll buy an 18mm rear sway when they are ready, no rush. Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Count me in for one.