Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY - Vermont Run 10/26 -10/28

NY - Vermont Run 10/26 -10/28

Name:  Rally Badge.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  190.3 KB

Hello
    A few of us from the NY area are doing a fall weekend run from NY to Vermont.
    The plan is that we will be leaving NY on Friday 26th Oct and heading north toward Adams MA over Mount Greylock and then onto Route 100 and head up towards Waterbury VT taking VT 100 on the way up.
    We will be overnighting in Waterbury. Then on Saturday 10/27 heading down from Waterbury driving some of the best roads in the VT area, RT 4, RT 7A Skyline drive, RT 5, RT 106 amongst others. This map gives a good idea http://www.newenglandriders.org/Best...TBestRoads.htm There is a google link in the top navigation bar, where you can see the routes.
    We will be planning Saturday's route and accommodation over the next few days, please feel free to chime in with recommended roads, attractions, food places, must see things. After another days spirited driving we wake up on Sunday earlyish for more of the same, and at some point probably after lunch head back down toward NY and points beyond. Some people will just doing one night, others are doing two.

Great cars, good company, fall in the NE, and some of the best roads we can find ...
    Please post to the thread if you would be interested in joining us so we can get an idea of numbers for the accommodations. It would be great to get as many Porsche's as we can. All cars welcome.
    Cheers !

Cool. What's your name?

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

I don't think Oofie will be back on the road yet, but this sounds like a lot of fun.

Neat route. Here's a nearby route I discovered by getting lost during the summer: http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread....ost-in-Vermont

The one problem I'd consider with Rt 4 is having to deal with Rutland traffic. 140 or 73 might bet better routes for east-west travel if you want to maximize fun time.

Gratuitous hometown plug: Lots of nice places to park, eat, sleep and shop in Manchester.
    Terrence Dorsey

Hi
    Thanks for the replies. This trip has been set up by a few of us from 'the bird' ... ha ha. here is the thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...6-10-28-a.html
    My names Hugo, Ill be in my 86 911 Thus far its : Paul in 87 911, Raj in 66 912 and Jeremy in an 79 911. Thanks Terrence for the route. We will be finalizing the Saturday route today so expect more info posted over the weekend.
    Cheers

Early Porsche friend from UK / NZ will be in area that weekend playing with cars. Maybe we will try to rendezvous.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

This sounds great! Very interested in joining you. Looking forward to more info.
    Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    '72T 2.7 RS spec race car
    '79SC 3.6 ltr. hot rod
    '06 BMW 530xi

Hi Guys,
    It would be great to have you all along.
    Sorry to be sllow coming back. The thread is updated a bit more frequently over at the Bird http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...6-10-28-a.html.
    At this point we have a route form NYC to Waterbury VT http://goo.gl/maps/d6rKc , and a location for the first night http://www.bestwesternwaterburystowe.com/
    Will update the second night location and route for Saturday 10/27 tomorrow late eve.
    Cheers

I have been thinking about joining you and I just want to confirm: it looks like a full day of driving Friday, right?
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

A few route notes:

1. I'm not a fan of the GW Bridge or 87, though 9W is fun. I'd avoid the bridge hassle and instead head up the west side > HH Pkwy > Saw Mill Pkwy > Taconic Pkwy. Then you could cross over the Hudson at Poughkeepsie and continue in the twisties. No tolls, less traffic and more scenic, fun driving.

2. If the route proves too long or folks need to catch up (late start, for example), an alt route is to continue right up the Taconic and meet up around the 295/90 junction.

3. The pavement on 22 up there is terrible. I mean really, really bad all the way to the VT border. Plus, there are lots of speed traps up there and the local police barnstorm around with their radar banging on full power. You have been warned.

You might consider diverting over to Great Barrington or Stockbridge and heading up 7 from there. Much better road. Excellent coffee to be had in GB and Williamstown.

4. Irene did a fair amount of damage to 100 in the area around Jamaica. It's fixed now and great for driving, but just be aware that there are some patched spots and temporary bridge diversions.
    Terrence Dorsey

Looks like we will be joining you. My friend, Hamish Franklin, and I will be driving two of my cars - to be determined. Most likely early 911 hot rods or maybe RUF RCT. We will be driving up from Kinderhook, NY - near Great Barrington and will figure out where to rendezvous. Could be a terrific drive.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340