Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Sheriff John

R.I.P Sheriff John

Hey Fellow Californian's,

John Rovick aka "Sheriff John" Died this weekend at 93 years old.... I was a fan of his Cartoon show in the 50's and 60's. He was someone all of us Kids looked up to, in the day when TV life was a lot simpler! We in Cali had Bozo, Skipper Frank, Popeye (Tom Hatten) and others too!

Brings back BIG MEMORIES watching the Tube after school.....Superman was the Highlight tho!

Gumby

WOW Kevin, I had know idea he was even still with us until yesterday ... sad for sure... then I think of his theme song, "Laugh and be happy...."

I think we're about about the same age.... There was also Engineer Bill "Red Light, Green Light"

I also remember all the weekly 'sports shows' hosted by Dick Lane:
    Wrestling (Freddy Blassy and 'the Great Destroyer')
    Roller Derby (The L.A. Thunderbirds)
    Jalopy Racing from Ascot Park (Whoa Nelly!!)

A fun time for kids....

.... just like yesterday bud........ almost.......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hey CM,

With 6 kids, we never had milk to drink for the red light green light thing......but my wife did and always loved the milk propaganda bit from Engineer Bill! What was the Skipper Frank show about...just cartoons? What show had the train that always tried to go up grade?

Watched the Ascot races all the time and in fact used to go to Ascot and Gardena speedway......I remember the great local dudes, Chuck Hulse and Ed Van ike in the real Sprint and Super Modify Cars.....whoa nelly is right, especially with the very first Figure 8's.

First time I ever found money was at Ascot when I was about 8-9 years old....3 dollars...man I was rich and of course bought decals and soda pop for my friends and had some $ left over. I even watched Rick Mears (late sixties) in the TT Buggy races before Penske ever found him. Rick used to win damn near every race he entered! O to see him flying off the TT bump.....of course nothing like the "Extreme" things they do today!

How bout Bast, Nutter, Woods, Penhall and Bud (Father knows best) at OC Fairgrounds Speedway...I went to school with Scott Autery, he won a few Championships in the early seventies.

Dem was da dayz Chuck!!

KJ

PS Some day I will tell you about the first day Disneyland opened.....OK, I was 2 and don't remember a thing.... but do have photos!!

Thumbs up

With 6 kids, we never had milk to drink for the red light green light thing......but my wife did and always loved the milk propaganda bit from Engineer Bill! What was the Skipper Frank show about...just cartoons?
    Yeah, I remember Skipper Frank do'n the milk deal and a lot of other 'fun for kids too stuff'... but tsome of the cartoons were 'Benny and Cecil' (I'm come'n Benny Boy!!! )

What show had the train that always tried to go up grade?
    Kind'a foggy on that one... maybe Engineer Bill ?

Watched the Ascot races all the time and in fact used to go to Ascot and Gardena speedway......I remember the great local dudes, Chuck Hulse and Ed Van ike in the real Sprint and Super Modify Cars.....whoa nelly is right, especially with the very first Figure 8's.

First time I ever found money was at Ascot when I was about 8-9 years old....3 dollars...man I was rich and of course bought decals and soda pop for my friends and had some $ left over. I even watched Rick Mears (late sixties) in the TT Buggy races before Penske ever found him. Rick used to win damn near every race he entered! O to see him flying off the TT bump.....of course nothing like the "Extreme" things they do today!

How bout Bast, Nutter, Woods, Penhall and Bud (Father knows best) at OC Fairgrounds Speedway...I went to school with Scott Autery, he won a few Championships in the early seventies.

Seldom got into roundy round. When I old enough to have older friends to take me it was all about drag racing. I always lived in 'The Valley' (still do ... God help me) and on a clear day with the breeze go'n West you could hear the cars lighting off from San Fernando Drags, from my house about 8 miles away. So, it was Lions every Sat. night and San Fernando every Sun...... This was between '62 and '67 'The Golden Years'.

Then my high school buddy Hector's dad (same car buddy I have today) took us to the 1966 Riverside Times Grand Prix (the first Riverside CanAm) ... and I was in love...(of course I was because you felt those monsters in your 'atachments)... To me it was like 30 Gas Altereds coming at you at the same time... and turning... and do'n it ALL DAY LONG....

Dem was da dayz Chuck!!
    In deed it was bud.....

PS Some day I will tell you about the first day Disneyland opened.....OK, I was 2 and don't remember a thing.... but do have photos!!
    That's kind'a funny... My family took me to Disneyland 3 months after opening when I was 6...
    Little did I know I would be thinking about retiring next year from 25 years as a Disney Imagineer 57 years later.......

Just took a quickly pic of a print I have in front of cubical, it's that day in '55 of me and my mom in front of the Moonliner... one of a roll my dad took on his Kodak 'brownie' camera…….. and so it goes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

So your a Disney Dude now? You work-worked in Burbank?

My Dad was a LA Times Photographer and covered the day at Mickeyland. Here is a photo of me in the stroller. Like I said...."Don't remember much but my other 5 sibs still tell me about all the Sh_t that didn't work"! Have you done the CARS land yet?

KJ

Disney01.jpg

So your a Disney Dude now?

You work-worked in Burbank?
    Yep.... Started at Imagineering July of '88 ... I've always been on Flower St. Glendale accross the street from Deist Safety.

My Dad was a LA Times Photographer and covered the day at Mickeyland. Here is a photo of me in the stroller. Like I said...."Don't remember much but my other 5 sibs still tell me about all the Sh_t that didn't work"!
    WOW- Times photographer, how cool was that!!!

Have you done the CARS land yet?
    My card reads Principal Dimensional Designer... A big term for lead model maker (not digital, physical models) and I was the lead model maker for the Carsland project for 2 1/2 years.

We had an Imagineering family day a week before the public opening last June ... It was a very cool day ... I was proud …. haven't been back since.

cm
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Very Cool on the Disney Job, I bet you have done some really cool Projects for Walt and Company!

Here is the photo of California's last established Billionaire (writer and director John Lasseter, Jobs partner in Pixar) and a Grease Monkey (me) with the Doc Hudson we built for the "CARS" Movie Premier! Paul drove it (Charlotte) and did the Red Carpet with Doc and the other cars from the movie.

I offered the Doc Hudson to Lasseter thinking Disney would want it for "CARSLAND".....but no reply....which is the way John is in real life...to cool to reply!!!

I bet you have made some Car models in you life!

KJ

05.jpg

Thumbs up

Yeah, I have a few pics with Lasseter as well....... found he had a very good design eye.

I was following your site on the Dr. Hudson build...... super cool.... and even cooler that Newman got to drive it...

I took my nephew and wife and their two little girls, my Great Nieces... they're like my grand kids.
    I like these two pics from that employee day.......

Ooops, guess I shouldn't have taken that second pic...... too late...

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Great photo of you and Der Kinders!

I can't wait to see CARSLAND....Maybe you could show and tell me some of your handy work ?? I do Xmas every year with my Fam in Newport...this year we will make the Wallyworld stop and ck things out in Carville usa.

Thanks for taking and showing that ILL-LEAGLE photo!!

KJ

My wife Pat was a guest at Disney Land the opening day her dad was a painter that did the Carousel painted ponies as
    one his jobs at Disney, good times!

Regards
    Rolly