Thread: The 911 & 912 Porsche Book

The 911 & 912 Porsche Book

Hi

Does anybody know the background to this book?

http://www.amazon.com/The-911-912-Po...+912+Porsche#_

My SWB is illustrated in the book on a few occasions (under the ownership of Woody Chapman, Norwalk, CT at the time)/

Thought it would be nice to learn a bit more about how this came about.

Best,
    TEE
    Last edited by TEE; 10-10-2012 at 06:29 AM.
    Registry Member #1869

I always thought it ironic that a book intended to be an authenticity guide should use the picture of a long hood Porsche with painted headlight rings as the cover picture. If you're already making mistakes on the cover, where does your credibility go from there?
    Last edited by ibmiked; 10-10-2012 at 06:51 AM.

It certainly contains plenty of good information, but I have been very disappointed with the pictures. All B&W and not very crisp and clear. I think it's long past time for an update.
    Tom

There are a few info mistakes (toolkits, decals, minor interior details on 70/71) but overall its still THE reference.
    There is no other book on the market giving much infos on little space and so little money.

Keep in mind this book was published BEFORE the internet and even 20 year later there is no better one around.
    How would we today know all the details if Johnson wouldn't collect it back then.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-11-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    Registry member No.773

In the internet age mistakes of older times seem often inconceivable...yet I agree it remains a helpful reference for many. But that was not the underlying purpose of the thread. Curious if anyone knows anything about the “making of”
    Registry Member #1869

TEE:

The book was written and published by my friend Dr. Brett Johnson, founder of the dear-departed PB Tweeks parts business in Indianapolis. Brett was a veterinarian and became a full-blown Porsche expert, especially on 356s. He restored and raced an early 356 coupe and restored a concours-winning 356 Cabriolet. His books are standard references for authenticity. The book contains a couple of shots of my early three-dial 912, 451326, fitted with unusual sport seats. I will razz him about the painted headlight rims!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Barrett View Post
    TEE:

The book was written and published by my friend Dr. Brett Johnson, founder of the dear-departed PB Tweeks parts business in Indianapolis. Brett was a veterinarian and became a full-blown Porsche expert, especially on 356s. He restored and raced an early 356 coupe and restored a concours-winning 356 Cabriolet. His books are standard references for authenticity. The book contains a couple of shots of my early three-dial 912, 451326, fitted with unusual sport seats. I will razz him about the painted headlight rims!
    Frank: Cool. Nice to meet someone else with a connection to the book. Perhaps when you speak to Brett you can ask him if he recalls why he picked the red 1965 from Woody Chapman for the book and perhaps inquire if Woody is still around. Always nice to learn more about the history of ones car.

Best,
    Thomas
    Registry Member #1869

TEE, that's kind-a fun finding your car in a authoritative book.

Brett spread a call for "change item" examples for that 9 year run of cars, having your car in the book is cool.

Did you know the photos were self-taken (buy the owners) with some better examples and some not much more than point and shoot "instimatic". Must have been a nightmare to find the "right" photo.

The fact that Brett was working to document 24 up to 15 year old cars - at a time they were mostly just old cars is still pretty amazing. Thank goodness he did,
    my copy of his book is falling apart from being well used, but I can't give it up it because of it's inscription and it's copious amount of notes.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370