Thread: the 'other' American Racing wheel for Porsches

the 'other' American Racing wheel for Porsches

finally got my new/old 'Daisy' or 'Coke Bottle' wheels, also known as AS-200 or 200-S, made by American Racing Equipment. gotta admit though, the name isn't nearly as cool as 'Torq-Thrust'. that said, I actually like the look more than the TT's. 15X7 but a little less backspacing than the TT's. tried them on the car, tires are way too big but I'm diggin' the look

another note. contrary to popular belief, lug nuts are dead easy to find. buy these ones........http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cragar-SS-Ma...-/390413984152
    and just cut the shank down to length. perfect fit in the hole. work in Minilites too. ( which, by the way, aren't at all light )
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Those are the lugs the we have modified to fit the Americans. The early Americans had the smaller shank size (~5/8). Not the 3/4 that these have.
    Yes the correct ones are still hard to find.
    I have also put on these wheels but as you say, the offset was always close.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 10-12-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Were they not also known as "Libre's"? Or was that only the 13" 4 spoke version?
    Last edited by Bummler; 10-12-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

yes, I think only the four spoke was called the 'Libre'. I've also heard the five spoke called 'Classic'.

hi Harvey. thanks for chiming in. yeah, it's going to be a squeeze to fit these on a narrow-body. any idea how common these are in 15X7 and the Porsche bolt pattern? I've seen a few wider ones but nothing in 7 inch before. care to take a crack at what year these would be? Don.
    Last edited by haycait911; 10-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.

I remember them to be ordered custom drilled like the other American styles as they were not Porsche offset specific like the Torque thrust D. (Actually, I don't think they were ever called that)

H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 10-13-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Haycity I have set of 4 of the AR daisy wheels,coke bottles,200's , Libre's in the 15x7 mine fit like 15x8 Fuchs.
    I got them from an autogrosser in CA. in 1990
    Also they are around the late 70's ..I did buy some brand new for my corvair spyder in 1977, 13x7 and they were Libres.
    Datsuns ran them alot. and chev vans/trucks I seen alot on. they have the 5x5 BHC which is easy to make 130mm.
    Last edited by JKH; 10-13-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

I know where to get a set of these, but I need to buy the whole 912 (and then dispose of it) to get them. Any idea of what they're worth? And for the record, the 912 has the full fiberglass kit with the added benefit of a sheet metal floor 'welded' in place, so it wouldn't be a desecration to junk it...

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JKH View Post
    Haycity I have set of 4 of the AR daisy wheels,coke bottles,200's , Libre's in the 15x7 mine fit like 15x8 Fuchs.
    I got them from an autogrosser in CA. in 1990
    Also they are around the late 70's ..I did buy some brand new for my corvair spyder in 1977, 13x7 and they were Libres.
    Datsuns ran them alot. and chev vans/trucks I seen alot on. they have the 5x5 BHC which is easy to make 130mm.

yeah. the frontset (?) , distance from the hub face to the outer lip, is the same as an 8 inch fuchs. it'll be a squeeze on a narrowbody.