Thread: need advice -- engine rebuild gone bad

need advice -- engine rebuild gone bad

Here are the quick and dirty facts and hopefully i can gain some insights on what to do.

I have a 71 911 E that was leaking oil fairly well, but running well. so last Jan 1 I dropped the car off at renngruppe in Lexington NC about 200 miles away. I di dso because I heard that Dave Brown up there was a [retty good engine rebuilder. It took about 4 months, with long periods of nothing happening, but I finally got the car back. I spent about 7K and essentially got a long block rebuild. I was told everything was in spec, and the crank, pistons and cylinders were in spec. When I picked it up, it did OK, but it would not hold an idle, and the car would sputter. Looked like my mfi system needed to be refurbed as well. why that was not done and checked, I don't know, but the car would not hold an idle. The MFI pump and injectors was sent away to get up to factory spec.

So here is where the nightmare begins, and I do mean nightmare.

got the top end buttoned up, and the engine was difficult to turn over when starting and it woulf just bind. It would eventually turn over and when it ran it did a pretty decent job with lots of power. The Oil leak returned with a vengeance, and ole smokey was back. To make matters worse, the engine was not binding, and it would not turn over freely.

During the time it took me to do the top end refresh, Renngruppe fell apart. I don;lt know what happened, but dave brown is gonzo, they are essentially a part time operation, and they told me they will make things right for me. So I did bring the car up to them to let them take a look. Next thing I know, the engine is out of the car and dismantled, that was two months ago now I am hearing my case is warped, my cylinders are out of spec, and a whole host of other things.

My big problem is that the communication with them is horrible. it has been three months, and I can only get in touch with them on a sporadic basis. got any advice on what I should do.

Best thing might be to just hold on and let this thing work its way out, but I am very concerned about them being around even next week.

I could get the car back and bring it to someone else, but then I am out 6K

I could seek legal action, but just dont want to go there

Any advice this really sucks

e
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

I cannot give you advice but I can say what I’d do if I found myself in that situation. I would go get my car and all its bits and pieces and find a competent shop with a good reputation and start over. I would not get the damned attorneys involved as those rat-bastards seem to always bleed both sides to collect all the fees they can. As much as it totally sucks, I think it would be cheaper and a lot less stress to just take the initial loss and move on… But that is just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Small claims court. $5000 max, no attorneys needed, judges who help you through the process. Get yer stuff back first. Don't let their promises drag this on and on.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

I would get the car and all your parts out of there. You're throwing good money after bad at this point. Lick your wounds and find another shop...

Show up with the manpower and equipment to gather ALL of your stuff and walk away.......If they do fold, your stuff will be impounded too from what I have heard over the years when a business has liens etc.....
    Last edited by Cliff; 10-13-2012 at 11:18 AM.

member #1515
    6 grand will get you a top notch top end rebuild. For a bottom end good job your looking at 2 to 3 grand more than that (9), maybe more(parts are getting expensive). Pick up your parts , lick your wounds and get someone who knows what they're doing.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Get your stuff out of there before you have no stuff!!!!!
    Early 911S Registry member#775

The "get your stuff" crowd are right. Thinking in terms of what youve lost is not correct. Rather you should be thinking in terms of preventing additional future loss. Go get all to your stuff immediately. If they are willing to give you anything on the spot to make good for past damage. Gasket sets, anything in a parts bag. A crankshaft, bearings Anything. Take it. It will likely be all you ever see.

When businesses and partnerships get unravelled, you will likely be one of many laying claim to a very limited pool of assets. And these guys landlord will be way ahead of you.

I certainly don't envy the position you are in, but agree with every one here - get your stuff. 20 years in litigation consulting has made me very aware that litigation is the last resort in almost any conflict, as it is exhausting for everyone and quite often doesn't benefit who is "right".
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)