Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed TV loses F1 broadcast rights

Speed TV loses F1 broadcast rights

http://tinyurl.com/99ujcbr

The cable sports channel Speed will no longer air Formula One races after this season, ending a 17- year partnership.

Fox Sports Media Group, which owns Speed, confirmed Friday that the partnership will end after this season. The network indicated it was outbid for the U.S. broadcast rights.

"It's disappointing to learn that F1 has elected to move forward with a different media partner," Fox Sports Media Group said in a statement to The Associated Press.

F1 was in talks with NBC Sports Group for U.S. broadcast rights, according to two people familiar with the negotiations who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement....

It's not clear what NBC Sports would do with F1.
    Given the track record, I don't see this bringing any improvement in the quality of the broadcasts. Adding this to the Grand Am/ALMS deal, and I'd have to say NASCAR owns motorsport in North America now.

On paper, I bet "network coverage" of the sport + two races in the US looks like a win to someone, though.
    Terrence Dorsey

I am not optimistic about this either...I like the current broadcast team and the fact that I can see practice, qualy and the race. I watch all three.

I've read about streaming the BBC or Sky broadcasts....I've never done that but I'll look into it if I have to.
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

With the rise in accidents in F1 perhaps NBC saw a market for the new F1 "NASCAR Style" of driving. Speaking of NASCAR; the last lap at Talladega was probably a $4,000,000 write off. Idiots. Poor choices in the heat of battle and everyone else gets screwed.

"Sitting" out a race is good. Losing points is a good thing but know that sponsors and money can bring a lot of pressure to bear.

Money can be a wonderful thing but it can also corrupt the heart and soul of any sport.

The only racing that I really believe has any consequences for wrecking is Moto GP. I don't need to explain why.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

This is great news. Hopefully their loss of F1 will encourage people to research and learn about torrenting. Both the Sky and BBC are available online commercial free via this method. Once on your computer you can simply run an HDMI cable to your TV from your computer and there you go. I won’t go into any more detail but it’s all out there.

The production from these two British broadcasters is simply better. They don’t cut away for commercials, their color commentators have driven modern F1 cars and they have numerous reporters at every race. You know those interviews that Speed cuts to during the race? Those are from Sky or BBC people actually there. Their graphics are better; they don’t inundate you with over the top music. They do a 2 hour prerace show that’s usually pretty good… interviews at the McLaren Technology Center, simulator work with STR, track walk with a current F1 driver etc. Not over after the podium ceremonies… lots of post race coverage from those still milling around. They have better contacts that get them better segments. Speed isn’t getting those. Add this all up and you’ll be amazed once you dump Speed.

I’ve always felt that the best quality sport broadcasting creates the feeling of attendance. Sky/BBC do a better job of making me feel as if I’m there. Less BS more racing. Bottom line is that sometimes we need a jolt to get us off of what we’re used to and this is every F1 fan’s chance to move to something better with little effort.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bauer View Post
    This is great news. Hopefully their loss of F1 will encourage people to research and learn about torrenting. Both the Sky and BBC are available online commercial free via this method. Once on your computer you can simply run an HDMI cable to your TV from your computer and there you go. I won’t go into any more detail but it’s all out there.

The production from these two British broadcasters is simply better. They don’t cut away for commercials, their color commentators have driven modern F1 cars and they have numerous reporters at every race. You know those interviews that Speed cuts to during the race? Those are from Sky or BBC people actually there. Their graphics are better; they don’t inundate you with over the top music. They do a 2 hour prerace show that’s usually pretty good… interviews at the McLaren Technology Center, simulator work with STR, track walk with a current F1 driver etc. Not over after the podium ceremonies… lots of post race coverage from those still milling around. They have better contacts that get them better segments. Speed isn’t getting those. Add this all up and you’ll be amazed once you dump Speed.

I’ve always felt that the best quality sport broadcasting creates the feeling of attendance. Sky/BBC do a better job of making me feel as if I’m there. Less BS more racing. Bottom line is that sometimes we need a jolt to get us off of what we’re used to and this is every F1 fan’s chance to move to something better with little effort.
    With NBC gaining the rights, I would think this would mean greater exposure. If I were to use Sky/BBC broadcast, I'm not sure if I could still use my DVR for recording. Many of these races are early in the morning and in the case of Korea (1:30 a.m.).
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

David,

The torrenting of a video file has nothing to do with your TV, DVR, cable or satellite. You're pulling the file from the internet to your computer and then if you want pushing it to your TV.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bauer View Post
    David,

The torrenting of a video file has nothing to do with your TV, DVR, cable or satellite. You're pulling the file from the internet to your computer and then if you want pushing it to your TV.
    Thanks Carl, My mistake. I forgot that a video file remains available for streaming at any point after the event.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

Quote Originally Posted by tpdorsey View Post
    Given the track record, I don't see this bringing any improvement in the quality of the broadcasts. Adding this to the Grand Am/ALMS deal, and I'd have to say NASCAR owns motorsport in North America now.

On paper, I bet "network coverage" of the sport + two races in the US looks like a win to someone, though.
    I am not clear as to your thoughts.

It seems that Speed (now Fox Sports 1) lost the bidding for the F-1 broadcast rights to NBC Sports? How do we know that this will not be an improvement?

How does Nascar own motorsport in North America? Did you mean sports car racing (not open wheel and SCCA WC racing)? Are you sure that Grand-Am/AMLS will be on Fox Sports 1? The above link mentions:
    The departure of F1 comes as Fox Sports moves closer to rebranding its motorsports network into a broad-based national sports network. Fox has not commented on the rebranded channel, expected to be called Fox Sports 1, but it is expected to be heavily utilized in the eight-year television contract announced earlier this month with Major League Baseball.
    I always enjoyed Bob Varsha (who lives near me), Steve Matchett, and David Hobbs. I'll miss them (but understand some guys dislike them).

Hopefully their loss of F1 will encourage people to research and learn about torrenting. Both the Sky and BBC are available online commercial free via this method.
    I must be missing the free entry to live commercial free torrent video streams? It's in HD?

Once on your computer you can simply run an HDMI cable to your TV from your computer and there you go.
    My computer is two floors and six rooms away from my TV. It isn't simple.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

My thoughts aren't worth much. But since you ask, I think it comes down to this: were you satisfied with the Speed TV broadcasts of F1? And will NBC put together an overall F1 broadcast at least as good as what Speed TV did?

If the answer to both is yes, then we're moving forward (against my expectations). If not, it's a step backward for F1 fans in the US. Easy as that. The big four networks have not, in the past, matched the quality of the Speed TV broadcast. Therefore my expectations are low.

That said, there is hope. While I was not a fan of how NBC handled the broadcast aspects of their Olympic coverage, they certainly do know a thing or two about streaming. Did you know most of the events are still available to watch on the NBC Olympics web site, even events that didn't get commentary? Pretty cool stuff.

BTW, I met the whole Speed team at Indy back when Peter was with them. Incredibly nice guys and true fans. I hope they end up on their feet doing something they enjoy with people who appreciate their talents.

The NASCAR remark was just snarky. I have no idea how that's going to pan out. NASCAR seems to be the only series that remains in the hands of folks who actually give a damn about the broadcast show. They have a strong hand in sports car racing and where everyone else can and cannot race. That seems like a pretty strong position. Will ABC or CBS step up to the plate with quality broadcasts of some other series? Not holding my breath.
    Terrence Dorsey

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    BTW- for those who didn't catch it, speed is now owned by Fox, who has plans on broadening the scope of the sports broadcasted. Hope you guys like watching golf and baseball.