Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '73 2002 tii, 34k mi . .

'73 2002 tii, 34k mi . .

. . . on Bat . . .

The schtick . . .

. . . This 1973 BMW 2002tii (Chassis 2763798) is highly original with 33,640 documented miles and a continuous ownership chain back through all four owners. The seller tells us that this one has never been hit, and never rusted or molested. This round-light tii came from the factory in favored Malaga (maroon) paint and retains its perfect, 100% original tobacco brown upholstery and original headliner, factory sunroof, correct factory alloys with new 165 Michelin XAS tires, tool kit, dismounted original steel wheels, original factory steering wheel, excellent chrome, Blaupunkt Frankfurt Mk10B AM/FM radio w/ rear speaker control, and all manuals, papers and service records from new including a copy of original window sticker from then-BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. You get the picture. This special tii is now available in Nyack, New York for $37k . . .

. . . This 2002tii was bought new from Helmut’s Small Car Service of Bridgeport, CT for $5,563.45 by an avid BMW CCA member who would not use it as a daily driver. Three options were listed: tinted glass, XAS radials and anti-freeze (but it also has a sunroof). Cocoa mats, still in excellent condition, were purchased around this time. The car was treated to Zeibart rust-proofing when new by its fastidious first owner, which along with the fact that it has been garage-kept for all of its 39-year-life, has never been driven in inclement weather and has spent much time in California (going there with its second owner, who purchased it in CT in 1983 with less than 20,000 miles) helps explain its impressive condition . . .

. . . The car was sold to its third owner in 2002 with just under 29,000 miles. A knowledgeable BMW collector in Louisville, KY with experience in 2002s dating back to the 1970s, he gave the car refreshed trunk vinyl and a perfect, correct set of factory alloys (replacing aftermarket Panasports). The 2002tii was purchased by its current owner – a well-known automotive journalist/collector outside of New York City – having covered 31,176 miles, in 2007. With the 800 trouble-free miles he put on the car over the Labor Day weekend — traveling from the lower Hudson River valley to New Hampshire’s Bretton Woods, via Lime Rock and Boston, and back — the odometer now reads 33,650 . . .

. . . The seller calls the car a potential show winner in 1-/2+ condition. He says it needs nothing, though there are a few very minor paint chips on the nose, some deterioration of the plastic/rubber surround holding the driver’s side mirror, and the rear muffler has some perforation of its outer sheath. All rubber seals and gaskets are original and all engine bay stickers and door sticker are intact. Outside of routine maintenance items (e.g, oil/air/gas filters, spark plugs, belts, hoses, wiper blades), very little has ever been changed on the car . . .

. . . Always maintained by the book, with full service records from new. The current owner’s repair/maintenance included a new fuel-gauge sending unit, four new Michelins, flasher unit, fluids changed, valve adjustment, and re-stuffing front and rear seats (covers re-used, correct original stuffing used in front.) . . .

. . . The seller states that there has never been any paint work while in the hands of the second through current owners, but the somewhat long story below was given for the possibility of paint work before that. “The first owner told the second owner that while the car was at the dealer for service, the right quarter panel just below the gas cap was scratched and repaired by the dealer. The repair was well done and you can’t tell it’s been done. Secondly, it is believed the hood, roof and trunk lid were repainted at some point either before the car was delivered originally or during the first owners’ tenure. The owner who researched this question, the third owner, from Kentucky, had the car inspected before he bought it, and explained in 2006:

. . . We had almost a year long discussion back and forth with the second owner about this car. We were in no hurry and neither was he and we discussed a lot of things over the course of the dealings and I think I came to know him well enough to know he was in no way trying to misrepresent the car as ‘all original paint,’ which is what it was advertised as. When we decided to buy the car we had Jack Fahuna of JF Pro BMW Service of Reseda, CA inspect with the express desire of verifying the originality of the car as well as it’s over all condition. Jack’s is a pretty well known shop among the 02 crowd and he is a respected expert of the model. His inspection backed up everything the car was advertised to be except that it was his opinion was the car had been painted on the top surfaces I mentioned. The repaint was done to a very high standard and the only thing that tipped Jack off was the difference in the ‘orange peel’ of the paint surface between the horizontal panels and the rest of the car; the repainted panels have just a little less texture than the rest of the car . . .

. . . The second owner was truly horrified. (He had paid a premium of $14,000 in 1984 for a absolutely original, low mileage 2002 tii! He said he had missed an opportunity to buy another low mileage 02 by being hesitant on price and he didn’t want this one to get away!) So, the conclusion is that either the repaint was done under the first owners tenure and he didn’t disclose it, (The second owner did not really think this was the case based on his lengthy discussion with the first owner.) or, that (and this seemed more likely to all involved including Jack Fahuna) the car was damaged in shipment and was either repainted at the repair center at the import facility, (fairly common) or was damaged in transit to the dealer and was repaired there before being sold to the original owner. This was a minor point to us and the car was all it was advertised to be” . . .

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/10/15/...3-bmw-2002tii/

Not mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Nice car! Would love to have that in my garage!
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

It belongs to a friend of mine, Jamie Kitman. Nice car, damn near perfect. Jamie has somewhere near 30 cars and very few (if any) of them are German.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Banned
    Very, very niice.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    . . . belongs to a friend of mine, Jamie Kitman . . . has somewhere near 30 cars and very few (if any) of them are German . . .
    Ha! 'Krabby' Jamie Kittman? From Automibile magazine?

We Can Be Heroes

Jamie Kitman whose dad Marvin I read religiously in the newspaper growing up? Oh yeah, and the resident crab-ass/cool car guy at Automobile magazine? He operates on a whole other car-level than many of us.

Great interior shot. I'd love to know what he equipment he used to get that effect.

Cheers Yale,
    -M

Yeah I haven't really seen Jamie's cabby side per se' unless you mean his column. However he also manages bands, They Might Be Giants, OK Go, Mike Doughty etc. and I've heard from friends at labels that Jamie can play the aggressive rock band manager routine pretty well.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    Jamie Kitman whose dad Marvin I read religiously in the newspaper growing up? Oh yeah, and the resident crab-ass/cool car guy at Automobile magazine? He operates on a whole other car-level than many of us.

Great interior shot. I'd love to know what he equipment he used to get that effect.

Cheers Yale,
    -M
    Isn't is interesting that we will excuse what otherwise might be taken as rude behavior when the guy has earned his credentials in the automotive community? Give the guy credit if he's gotten to "another level" and get over his brashness. Probably the charitible thing to do...

Absolutely awesome example of a tii. What's the high water mark for these cars right now? Actual sold comps would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    It belongs to a friend of mine, Jamie Kitman. Nice car, damn near perfect. Jamie has somewhere near 30 cars and very few (if any) of them are German.
    How about your 2002 Turbo... now, THAT's a Nice car!
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Isn't is interesting that we will excuse what otherwise might be taken as rude behavior when the guy has earned his credentials in the automotive community? Give the guy credit if he's gotten to "another level" and get over his brashness. Probably the charitible thing to do...

Absolutely awesome example of a tii. What's the high water mark for these cars right now? Actual sold comps would be nice.
    Hi Frank, I know some restored ti (IMHO more valuable than a tii) that have a insurance Values of 45+k€
    Here the link to the restoration logbook
    But I am sure that it would be difficult to sell them for 30k€.
    As always I think an unmolested original is way more worth than a restoration victim.
    With my 1600-2 Project I have invested now around 20k€ in the car and parts, and haven't even begun working on it - I expect it being around 34k+€ when finished.
    No restoration on this - just new drivetrain and axles with lots of rare historic tuning/race parts in a relatively rust free body with loads of patina.
    Ok- I'm a bit crazy with seats rims and steering wheels, so they alone cost more than the base Car.
    My 1600-2 convertible would be around 30k€ if I was selling it.

Cheers

Uli