Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which early 911?

which early 911?

I tried to read through some older threads as no doubt this has been beaten to death, but recent market price moves have made it different.

I am a 356 guy, with several of them, and a 993tt.
    I have always loved the early 911's.

For a car that would be driven on those weekends, competing for use with the speedsters, etc, which of the early 911's do you recommend?

The 1965, with its purity by 2.0 lter, or the '67S (maybe an E), or the later long wheel base?

I want one that is beautiful to look at, fun to drive - by being light but more torque is always better, and would be the better collectible (yes, I understand, I don't own these cars for investments but I am curious about future potential as well).

I may take whichever and take out the original block and put in a 2.7 or 2.8 liter if necessary, so the engine performance may not be the deciding factor, but it could be.

Any thoughts as to which would be the ideal early 911? Sort of the '73 RS.

oh, and I am 6'3" - are sunroofs out?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    for a car that would be driven on those weekends, competing for use with the speedsters, etc, which of the early 911's do you recommend?
    1973.5 911t
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    1973.5 911t
    I'd agree. Although I don't have a lot of experience yet with the early cars, the 73.5 CIS cars were the ones I looked at very closely because CIS is a proven, easy to maintain technology that I was familiar with from previous cars (a 1980 Saab 900T). Very drivable and still pretty servicable. MFI is a more thoroughbred system, and more limited in who can service it. Not likely what you need.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I think I am drawn to the earlier ones, pre '73. But which of those...

You've talked about 65's and a '73RS.

You've talked about collectible and replacing the motor.

Maybe you first need to decide what you are looking for in such a car. Reading is better than asking I found, as I was in your shoes 8 months ago. Make up your own mind, don't let others do it for you. All the info you need is in this wonderful forum.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Given the cars you already own, you seem to be a guy who knows his own mind, so I'm not sure the widely varying opinions you get here are going to help.
    There's the disclaimer out of the way.
    Buy a '65 if you can, and keep it 2.0 litre

old softie67S
    You mention speedsters. Is open air critical to enjoying the car? And yes, the sunroof coupes are out for a guy 6'3".
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Quote Originally Posted by tomkirkcis View Post
    You mention speedsters. Is open air critical to enjoying the car? And yes, the sunroof coupes are out for a guy 6'3".
    I have two wonderful speedsters, so open air isn't critical - though I have never put the tops up on those.
    Sunroofs per se don't make it a better experience, as I rarely have opened them on the more modern cars.

Too bad that nice '65 that European Motors has is a sunroof - sounds like I wouldn't fit?

Yes, between a '65 or a '67 S perhaps. Not sure which would be best suited...

Thanks for the thoughts. Looking for different perspectives.

You say that more torque is always better. With that said if you're going to put a 2.7 or larger engine in the car I'd consider a LWB. I just think it would work better with that type of engine. You have 356's and a 993TT so make your early 911 to be in the middle of that spectrum.
    72S, 72T now ST

I'm also 6'3" and have plenty of headroom with a sunroof and sport seats in the RS. I would not rule out a sunroof coupe unless you find that your body proportions don't fit these cars.

You might want to take a trip to Paul's (Autokennel) place and drive not only the '67S but the two 2.2L E model coupes he has there. These models are loads of fun stock and at some point you could bump up the displacement and add some excitement.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299