Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911 230 0863

Question 911 230 0863

Hi Everybody. I'm a little bit lost. As far as I know, the 911 230 0863 was originally equipped with a factory 2.7L twin plug (663 0022), as suggested in threads such as http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=0863 and in the ST website http://www.pbase.com/archive_racing_...n_911_230_0863.

Now, it appears that a RHD car with the same VIN is on sale at Paul Stephens'. Please see http://www.paul-stephens.com/Porsche-911-2.4S/car4117.

Name:  9112300863_vin.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  88.7 KB

BTW, the VIN looks strange to me (see the twin "00" not really aligned with the rest of the numbers).

Is it an amazing re-discovery or do I miss something?
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

I don't suppose there is a picture of the trunk floor stamping?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

And what's w/ that secondary plaque --- the smaller one, riveted up above the factory's?

Is that something put on by an 'importer'?

We Can Be Heroes

the secondary plate is a plate put on all cars imported to the UK for sale new (B ritish S tandard AU 48 as far as I know - but UK guys may know better) I have seen it on Lancias and other cars as well.

it would be worth a check with Porsche but i would suggest that Fred Hampson's list of ST's and special engine cars is incorrect on this one and the car is more likely to be correct and standard. I have other information (on the post quoted) that the engine on Fred's list supposed to be in this car was recorded by the factory as being in one of the very first RS's. After all this time records can get distorted and numbers transposed and even (especially in the case of COA's) the factory gets it wrong sometimes.

this looks to me to be more likely to be a solid honest standard car than a special. the numbers on the aluminium plate do raise a question .... but if you were faking it why would you end out with something like what is shown. Maybe it was stamped after a couple of beers at lunchtime?
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

interesting re the secondary plate - my RHD South African delivered 69T has an identical plate.
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Paul I just googled it. It is a British standard for seatbelts from 1965 to 1971 when it was replaced by BS AU 48a it is therefore likely that other RHD markets may have it as well. I don't have it on my car but I did on an earlier year pre-production lancia which was used in Australia for compliance testing. I never knew given the history of the car whether it had been in the UK first or not.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hello there,

Up until today I was the owner of the yellow S #0863. It is a highly original UK supplied car with a very comprehensive file dating back to the early '70s.

The engine fitted is certainly a standard 2.4S engine and as far as the history/records show is the same one supplied from new.

I would be most interested to know whether anyone could confirm that the car was a mule for any race spec engine prior to it being released as a road car as this will certainly come as a surprise! Hopefully the new owner will appreciate such news too!

Steven.
    1972 911S 2.4 Light Yellow / Dark Brown RHD

Hi Steven. Well, it seems that the indication comes from the authoritative John Starkey's "From R to GT2" http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages..._R_to_GT2.html . 911 history is not properly an exact science so I was just curious to know more ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

I've a copy of of R to RSR so will need to re-read certain chapters obviously. Thanks for the heads up.
    1972 911S 2.4 Light Yellow / Dark Brown RHD

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I don't suppose there is a picture of the trunk floor stamping?
    This would be a key photo to view! Hope it shows up...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100