Thread: Saab 96? . . .

Saab 96? . . .

. . . wagon

My first car was a station wagon, '66 Plymouth Fury III, an Old School big-block behemoth of a car. Always loved the utility of a wagon --- covered storage, folding seats, room to sleep . . . never got the Mom-&-groceries vibe

So when I first saw a SAAB wagon, years ago, in SF . . . I told myself . . .

'Some day . . .'

On Craigslist, c/o BaT . . .

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3344026239.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

So, was today the day?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Woweeeeeeeeeee!

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    . . . So, was today the day? . . .
    Hey, Jim . . .

Nope

This one's a just bit too crusty --- I don't even wanna think about what it would be like getting parts for something like this. (At least this one's not two-stroke!)

. . . but I've been seeing these turn-up a several shows, now --- Central CA coast, mostly . . .

. . . just a matter of time

Funky beyond all recognition . . . and the Nasty Dog'll fit, too

We Can Be Heroes

deluxeco
    Not sure I follow the comment on two-strokes. Maybe its easier to find parts for cause there's less parts in em? Any way, doesn't everyone, at some level, really want a two-stroke saab? How could you not? Its a two-stoke ..... car. Never driven one, so I can't say for sure, but it sure seems like it would have some ...character....
    Ian Smith
    ES # 1523
    Skateboards
    Bicycles
    Motorcycles
    Truck
    Carrera

Here ya go Rick, this ones a good one....and a bit closer to home

http://saabnet.com/tsn/class/9X.html#1210197059mjone

That being said, I need to edit my signature....Sonett is mostly sold and mostly paid for due to lack of use for the past 7 years....might coincide with when I got hooked up with a bunch of 911 hooligans.....whatever the case, the Sonett that I built and restored and rebuilt from the ground up is going to Sweden.
    Last edited by blucille; 10-23-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    . . . Here ya go Rick, this ones a good one....and a bit closer to home . . .
    Uh-oooh . . .

http://saabnet.com/tsn/class/9X.html#1210197059mjone

We Can Be Heroes

driving a 2-stroke saab is a thrill in and of itself....I've been relating the two-stroke sonett I just sold to driving a modern lotus elise....incredibly light (sonett just over 1500lbs) fiberglass, nimble....but NO torque, just enough HP to get by, you learn to preserve/maintain momentum.

The wagons, not 96's, they are 95's were mostly used up back in the day....by engineers and professors, in new england, mostly.....they had winter traction only on par with 911's of the day....no galvanization, but were extremely resistant to rust, until, well, until they got completely consumed by it.

growing up in the hotbed of saab activity, we saw 95's and 96's on the road a good 25 years after their production....and then....POOF, they were all gone...completely consumed.

the v4 models had an industrial german ford motor, we saw a similar motor in v6 format in US capri and mustang II's....so, valvetrain stuff could be adapted....or you head to your local ford/new holland dealer, and buy what you need, even a complete long-block if you so desire. The motors tended to be pretty robust. The V4's had enough torque to start to show the signs of too much power on the over-engineered gearbox/differential, but there are enough tools and spares around that even these aren't troublesome.....even if you build a hotrod v4, with, let's say 120bhp....no torque steer issues either, equal length driveshafts kept these things very tractable, even with extra power.

fun cars, totally predictable, you learn to expect understeer at all times, a quick lift off the gas and the front end grabs again....

come on, Rick, that two-tone 95 is calling for you and the pooch

here's the CL ad with more (little) photos http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3250803798.html
    Last edited by blucille; 10-23-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    . . . fun cars, totally predictable, you learn to expect understeer at all times, a quick lift off the gas and the front end grabs again....

come on, Rick, that two-tone 95 is calling for you and the pooch . . .
    Jeez --- thing even has CA plates, already!

. . . evil, evil Man

We Can Be Heroes

This just popped up local to me

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/SAAB....htm?ca=11&w=3

Approx. $1500

Drives and has a that bad ass roof rack!
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic