Thread: This will separate the men from the boys: Seat Belt Receiver Q

This will separate the men from the boys: Seat Belt Receiver Q

When I decided to do a nut and bolt restoration of the car back to OE, I meant it. Unfortunately when I sent my rusty seat belt receivers to my plater to be refinished, I forgot to tell him to take some pictures of the internal mechanism. So this is what I got back. I don't really want to leave a safety item to guesswork, so does anybody have pictures of what these are supposed to look like when they are together ? I didn't see anything in the Porsche 6 volume workshop manual at first glance, but if it is in there, just let me know where.

TIA
    Ravi

Name:  L1030024.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  122.6 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Oh, come on. Assembly is reverse of removal!

I believe the long springs are to spring the latching piece transverse to the push button (they engage the latch). The short fat spring is for the push button, which when depressed releases the latch.

Hope that helps!
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Problem was I didn't disassemble it ! I disconnected the contact wires, took it out of the plastic shell and gabe the whole assembly to the plater. I can guess about some stuff, but can't figure out things like which way the conical spring goes.

Actually I think I'm wrong in my previous post about which spring does what. I haven't seen this style receiver before. was this unique to '73? You may have to buy a sacrificial one to use as a guide.

According to the PET, it is for cars 73- cars. 911 803 127 00 on the actual receiver.
    I suspect any of the receivers with the "Press" button on the side would be similar in internal sconstruction. If someone could take one apart and take a picture it would be great. Just 2 screws to undo the black plastic housing.
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 10-28-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Ah, then I can help. The seat mounted piece confused me, but I see you are right, the latch portion is the same as 74+ tunnel mounted receivers. Here are some pictures. The long springs are trapped in the channel between the gold and silver pieces and serve to eject the latch when you "press". The latch pin needs to install with the bevel facing out. On mine the long gold and silver pieces are firmly staked together with a fold over and a spiral pin so I didn't separate them. The little cover on top of the taper spring was lightly staked in place. Hope this helps and atones for my earlier less than helpful comments!

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by M_deJong; 10-28-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    According to the PET, it is for cars 73- cars. 911 803 127 00 on the actual receiver.
    I suspect any of the receivers with the "Press" button on the side would be similar in internal sconstruction. If someone could take one apart and take a picture it would be great. Just 2 screws to undo the black plastic housing.
    That particular latch was used on 72 and 73 YM cars only.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by M_deJong View Post
    Ah, then I can help.

Mike

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you ! Took 2 minutes to put them together once I saw your pics. Yes mine were riveted together with that same spiral peg, which is why I never saw the internals. Don't often see mechanical details to this extent on this board, so I really appreciate the help. It was like staring at one of those Chinese metal wire puzzles, but now it all makes sense.

cheers
    Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 10-28-2012 at 12:28 PM.