Thread: How to re-web your seat belt reels.

How to re-web your seat belt reels.

A few people have asked me how to re-web there Repa inertia reel seat belts.
    So, although i recommend you get this done by a professional, if you have access to a sewing machine, it is pretty easy to do yourself. I accept no responsibility for any disasters, just thought i would post some tips. The images attached are of a professional seat belt installer.

First, clamp the reel in a bench vice, as pictured.

This is the most important part of the process. DO NOT LET GO OF THE TENSION ON THE REEL. YOUR REEL WILL BE RUBBISH IF YOU LET GO.

Pull out all the material length from the retractor. Insert a screwdriver into the access in the reel to ease out the material from the clamped section whilst holding onto the reel with your other hand, as pictured.

Once you have forced out the material, you will have access to the pin.

Pull out the brass pin. This may need some assistance if it is rusty. PLEASE NOTE THE SCREWDRIVER HOLDING THE TENSION. Don't knock it guys

Measure out your new Euro Repa webbing against your old length. Leave a little extra on the ends say, 8-10 inches over. This is to allow for cutting, folding, and heat sealing the ends. You are now ready to sew the loop which holds the pin. Look at the original stitch pattern. repeat this, or even beef it up a little.
    You should seal the ends of any cut material with an Iron. Yep, that's right.it will prevent any fraying.

Pass the new stiched loop end through the recess in the reel. Move the screwdriver to the far side to allow the material to pass through without releasing the tension.
    Insert the cleaned up pin into the new stitched loop.

Time to pull out the screwdriver. Make sure you got hold of it though.
    Push the pin and webbing back into the recess.

Once you get this back in, you are cooking on gas

Now all you need to do is slide on your guides, and tongue end. Make sure you put these around the right way, easy mistake to make. Once you sew on your end tab, you will not be able to turn these around. Cut and seal your receiver end, sew to original specification, and your done.

Hope that helps.

Still some of this material for sale in my thread.

Dave

Hi Dave - thanks for the excellent write up.

Am I interpreting this instruction correctly that you CAN fit a stitched tongue through the reel slot?? I thought the reel slot was to narrow and needed to be fed through first and then stitched after. But I may be misunderstanding something. Thank you.

"Pass the new stitched loop end through the recess in the reel. Move the screwdriver to the far side to allow the material to pass through without releasing the tension. Insert the cleaned up pin into the new stitched loop."