Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Continuation of Door Striker Thread

Continuation of Door Striker Thread

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t=door+striker

After a lot of research into what is and isn't available I rounded up 2 pair of door strikers.

One set are reproductions from either Stodddard/NLA or Sierra Madre. Same stuff different seller.

The second pair are the later larger outer flange type. These are "Keiper" just like the originals but are
    heavier duty in a few aspects none of which are a deterrent from using them imho. I took these to my machinist of choice
    and he milled the "extra" material from them so they are dimensionally the same as the originals. You CAN tell them apart
    under closer inspection but they are significantly better looking if that's a reason to spend $143.09 per side vs. $39.00 per side.
    Then there is the plating. *

The reproductions are not bad but they do lack a little crispness to the molds of the plastic inserts and the
    molding flash lines are not really clean.

Here is the most important information to anyone considering using either one.

* They can be re-plated intact without any harm to the plastic. The plating process would ONLY attack aluminum
    if it were present. It's not "hot" and the plastic isn't harmed at all.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Here are various photos. I'm doing this in a hurry this morning as the order to evacuate has been given. (Farm time!)

Each of them has been zinc plated "intact". The flange on the the 67-89 Porsche (Keiper) part is thicker.
    The pins in the original and new production 67-89 Porsche part are the same. The reproduction is just pressed in. I don't take issue
    with this as the tension of the bolts will hold it together.

Will report back soon.

Best,

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

PS: Here is what you start with:

Your plater will dip the item to remove all trace of whatever is on it. In my case I was dealing with yellow zinc.

Here again is the finished product:
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I ended up installing the machined OEM Keiper parts as the pieces I got from Sierra Madre were not very well made. The ones from Stoddard were marginally better but still lacked attention to detail in the plastic. From appearances both coming from the same supplier. Neither are very well staked together as illustrated by the gaps that can be seen.

Having contacted Sierra Madre and discussing it with the OTC salesperson it seems that this may be the best anyone is going to provide. I didn't ask for excuses but I did get a few like "it's an inexpensive part". That "it was complicated to make". As I wasn't getting anywhere and it wasn't his job to perform QC I left it as "I'll be returning them".
    I suggested that spending a few more dollars wouldn't hurt since even if they cost $75 each it was better than buying new parts from Porsche at $143.00 each.

For those of you who have used them with success I'm happy for you. Unfortunately as you can plainly see in the 1st photograph in the post the plastic is deformed. Those came from Stoddard. The ones from Sierra Madre were 2 different colors of plastic and one was very deformed. I've included photographs of the Sierra Madre parts in this addition to the story.

Short story. I'm done. Good luck with yours.

If somebody want's to take a shot at making them I'd say "go for it". Eric, Marek, Houdini....???

Tom
    Last edited by sithot; 11-02-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Last but not least...

This IS the only rebuildable door striker. You can buy these from any Porsche parts store. Darn shame they didn't continue the idea but of course the march of progress took over and mass produced (and maybe safer) strikers came next.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...sories&vxp=mtr

PS: This is 65-66 only with a chassis cut-off at chassis 5100. SHITE!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Excellent comrade! Your bravery has reaped reward.

Would you like some? All I need are L&R "units" to work with. Send me the "big flange" jobs and I'll get the machining done here. The plater and I are on a first name basis now. Especially after meeting his assistant and tipping him for his exquisite attention to detail. He looks out for his help which was refreshing.

Best,

Tom
    Last edited by sithot; 11-03-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Really nice piece Tom. good luck !!
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Thanks. I'm really interested in seeing a "better mousetrap" produced.

I'm not sure what is on the black OEM's that Porsche is supplying. If it comes off without a hitch the machining and plating are a breeze.

That's the next experiment. I'm looking for a donor. At $143 a pop I'm not inclined to buy a new one.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

A big thank you from me to to our friend in Sunapee "New Hampsha'" for his input on door assemblies. Quite a handy lad in a tight spot.

Tom

PS: I have driven the 2 smaller interference fit rivets out of one of the original assemblies. (They come out rather easily) The 3rd appears to be a bit more of an issue as it is peened over but it will give up too. Of that I have little doubt but a trip to the machine shop is the key.
    I'm considering reproducing the inserts out of something that will look right and last longer than the car. If anyone has a set of donors with intact inserts that I can take measurements from please let me know. I will be taking them apart but am confident that they can be put back together.
    If this gets to the point that it makes sense to rebuild them then it may be a service that can be provided "to the faithful".

All I ever wanted was for parts to fit and be made to exacting standards. I'm not a manufacturer but as I tell my friends in the business "Go all the way, or go home". Half ass attempts don't cut it.
    Last edited by sithot; 11-05-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111