Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass Oil line Mounting

Brass Oil line Mounting

I have a 1973.5 911T. I have a set of later external brass oil lines and thermostat for a front fender cooler. The rear fenderwell has the recess and a mounting stud. From what I have been able to find, it seems that in 1973 the optional cooler lines were mounted with sheet metal screws under the rockers. Is this accurate? Does anyone have pictures showing them mounted under the rockers? Anybody have other mounting options besides sheet metal screws they have used?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Hi,

The oil lines are mounted on three u sized brackets under the rocker, a clamp goes over the lines and hold down in the middle by sheet metal screws. I need to look for pictures...

cees

oil lined

Starting at the rear wheelwell there is a double clamp that goes over the stud and you use a nut, there are 3 clamps down the side of the floor edge, held on with sheet metal screws, but there is a standoff welded to the floor edge approx 1/4 inch high under each clamp. There are 2 a/c type rubber coated clamps in the front wheel well attached with sheet metal screws, no stand offs. All of this is shown in the PET, except I was unable to find the stand off pieces. The items were still available from Porsche up till 5 years ago, and not expensive. If you want to kick it around send an e-mail and I will send my phone #.

Mike
    Mike

In these shots I only have two installed (there should be a third one at the back), but you can get an idea of what the u-clamps look like.

Name:  436ffphoto-4.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  tryu7photo-5.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  97.5 KB
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

In case some more pics help. These are 1973 lines (which are used for 1973 only)

and these are 74 on lines (we make these ourselves as we do the 1973 only coolers)

HTH

Alan

member #1515
    I think Ed Mayo recommends inserts instead of sheet metal screws. He did a post on the subject here once.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks Everyone,
    Great information and Photos. I had looked at the PET and saw tapping screws. I didn't see any stand offs. I do have the stud in the rear fenderwell, and have made a few supports brackets from stainless steel sheet metal. Were the standoff brackets only on later cars? I don't like the idea of sheet metal screws, the rockers are enough of a rust risk with out putting mounting screws in them.

Ed

The stand off are on my factory 1973 RSR. I thought they were on street cars also.
    Mike

It is possible that my outer rockers have been previously replaced. I have no standoffs on the rockers. If anyone has a picture and/or dimensions of the standoffs, or a part#, I would appreciate it. This is what I was able to find in the PET. Does anyone know if it is correct?
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Name:  Support01.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  85.9 KB
    Name:  Support02.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  59.5 KB

I don't think the standoffs were mounted unless the car had a cooler from the factory. You can just use spacers behind the clamps to keep them from putting too much force on the lines. You can used weld nuts or rivet nuts in the rockers to secure the clamps.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green