Thread: Help with 1971 binding 901 shifter?

Help with 1971 binding 901 shifter?

I just replaced the shifter bushings (both guide bushing and ball socket) on my '71T and after adjusting the shift coupling (which also has brand new bushings) at the transmission according to the book the shifter is very stiff and binds. It seems to be getting into gear (I backed it out of the garage and back in) but it's very notchy and hard tp select gears. It was fairly smooth before taking it apart but after all the original bushings fell apart the other day I had to replace them becuase I couldn't find 2nd gear cleanly and 4th gear at all. Has anybody run into this before and have a solution or suggestions on where to look for problems? Thanks in advance,

Stretch

I would go back and check the guide bushing it sometimes gets distorted being installed.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Well, after taking everything apart I figured out where the binding was. It was in the actual ball socket itself. It had been pushed too far down into the ball cup so the end of the shifter was just barely in it. This caused the shifter to bind until I went in and reseated the ball socket on to the shifter and then pressed that into the ball socket. Shifts pretty smooth now. I still can't seem to find 4th gear which concerns me that maybe theres a more significant problem than just worn out old bushings. I'll double check the shift linkage adjustment tomorrow just to be sure that isn't the cause. Hopefully it is.......

Stretch

If I were in this situation, I would expect to do a readjustment of the coupler after replacing the bushings.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I posted on another thread regarding correct position of the shifter/knob after replacing the coupling.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ng-replacement

Any suggestions?

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Sorry for the delay in replying. I finally test drove the car and 4th gear works fine. It felt like it wasn't getting into gear when the shifter was moved to 4th but after driving its working fine. Crisis averted, I was concerned there might be an issue with the selector forks requiring a rebuild. Thanks for the help.

Stretch