Thread: 1965-1973 gas tank support

1965-1973 gas tank support

We now have the correct, not copies of superceded parts, 1965-1968 and 1969-1973 gas tank supports. These parts were stamped out this week and are now in stock for shipping. A number of you were waiting for these. Phone in your order or place the order on line.

65-68 Support with the battery tray.
    P204A.jpg

69-73 with hole for battery strap.(battery strap not included)
    P204B-1.jpg

Mike deJonge
    Restoration Design Inc
    519 836 3555
    www.restoration-design.com

Mike:

Please post your pricing.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

#P204A 1965-1968 gas tank support each $115.00
    #P204B 1968-1973 gas tank support each $105.00
    shipping extra
    can be ordered by phoning in or online thru the website, www.restoration-design.com

Thanks much...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thank you, now I won't need to spend the time cutting off the protrusion and welding back up!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Mike...this is very nice!
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

To my eye, there appears to be a wrinkle in the stamping, which if true will need to be reworked. I have had this problem with other stampings I have purchased from various sources.

Mike, can you confirm or deny the presence of wrinkles in the pictured stamping (near the battery support surface).
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Hi, just for file they are not correct for all 73 cars. The tank support changed to the later style during the 73 production year.
    HTH

Alan

fromt pan

Except for the hole over by the battery box and the separate battery framework, which is welded separately, both pictures seem to be the same? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by mike curnow; 11-19-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Mike

I was very excited to hear about this piece. Finally someone is stamping the correct 69-72 panel! Got it this week - somewhat disappointed.

I had previously bought a repro from another vender and was unhappy with the fit. I then bought an original NOS green primer (with 901 part #) piece from a fellow S Reg member and found that it fit perfectly. Unfortunately, it was a factory superseded part and had the 73- bump out on the driver side. That wont work, so I thought that this new repro would be my salvation.

First thing I noticed when I took it from the box was the wrinkles in the top from the stamping process. Then I see that the hole and the weld nut for the charcoal canister strap was missing as is the little tab that holds the cardboard fuse box cover in place. Irritating, but I can deal with that.

Laying it into position, I find that the hole for the battery strap is about 1/2" out of position and most of the flanges don't lay tight to the existing metal. Keep in mind, I have a vintage NOS panel that lays in place perfectly, so its not my car to blame.

Yes, it can be made to work fairly easily, but Im going to spend another $100+ with my metal guy making it right.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439