Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone comment on the ride & driving quality of Avon CR6ZZ Tires for street use?

Can anyone comment on the ride & driving quality of Avon CR6ZZ Tires for street use?

Can anyone comment on the ride & driving quality of Avon CR6ZZ Tires for street use?
    Last edited by SKM; 08-02-2016 at 07:20 PM.

You "may" also be able to find Michelin TBs in 18/60 and 15/60 (215/55 and 185/70 roughly). TBs are legal, TB15s are not.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I have the Avons on my car (185 all around) and like the ride quality quite a bit. They are quiet and grippy in the dry. They pick up stones when driving slowly. I haven't taken them out on wet roads, but would expect them not to be very safe, fortunately my car doesn't go out in the rain
    I'd recommend the harder of the two compound options for durability.

Not much of a technical analysis, but I haven't got any complaints.

Kent
    Last edited by kentf14; 11-17-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

SKM

I couldn't recommend these tyres enough. They are a particular favourite of quite a few drivers over on the DDK site in the UK. I run the exact original combination you mention on my RS and have done for eight years or more. They look period, they perform well (sticky in the dry, reasonable in the wet), they last resonably well ( about 10k kilometres for me), give a good ride and reasonably easy to get. They are expensive in these sizes and for some reason they are not rated the same between the sizes, H and N rated but this does not seem to have caused anyone any dilemmas. They have to be mounted the correct way round to avoid delamination. When I changed to a different set of wheels during Fuchs refurbishment the replacement wheels were mounted with different tyres and the difference in grip and performance was worse so I can't wait to get back to the Avons.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    SKM,

After the good info we really expect a picture of your RS. As I understand your RS was originally Dutch delivery from Pon?

Best regards,

Cees

Interesting, I don't see two different compounds listed on the Avon Motorsports website. Mike, do you know which compound your tires are? Thanks.

Yes Cees, I am hoping for the same. This RSH is a real gem. I am hoping SM will add his car to this thread, seems only appropriate.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=1382
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    Interesting, I don't see two different compounds listed on the Avon Motorsports website. Mike, do you know which compound your tires are? Thanks.
    Hmmm... when I bought mine from Roger Kraus they had listed both a hard and soft versions. They recommended the "hard". I'll try to dig out my catalogue from them and see if there is a part number listed.

edit
    OK, here you go. This links shows what is offered for each size:
    http://rogerkrausracing.com/racetire...CR6ZZ+2012.pdf
    Last edited by kentf14; 11-18-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added info
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Here's a little bit of info I could find regarding Avon compound designation. I'm not sure if all compounds are available for the CR6ZZ
    http://www.gordonleven.com/motorspor...php?tyre=cr6zz

It looks like this dealer offers them in A29 or A30 compounds:
    https://www.vintagetyres.com/product...es/radial/avon

Hopefully that will help a little.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. It was the speed rating I was talking about. They are different front and back.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Pirelli P6000 is also available in both sizes with Porsche's N2 approval code as a "modern-ish" street tire. I like CR6ZZ a lot, but they're more R-comp than street tire. It depends on your use what you prefer.