Thread: Targa Hard Top and other options

Targa Hard Top and other options

Hello all, I have been a member over at Pelican for a while and recentlly found this place so thought I'd ask here as well.

Anyway I have a 1973 911T Targa and have been doing some research on what my options are for a new/improved top. A few months ago I thought I was helping myself out by installing new weatherstrip around the windshield seal only to find out that the "new" seal has a chance of causing top flyoffs along with other problems, so now I'm not driving my car due to lack of a top (bit chilly in the mornings). I also found some minor issues with my top and discovered Dan with CarsInc and the restoration process and availability of the correct weatherstripping.

The problem is I contacted Dan and he says due to the age of my top it requires the 4-stage $995 restoration, and the seal is $189, so I'm looking at nearly $1200 and that still doesn't address the rear targa seal window and door seals etc to actually make my car water-tight.

I've been reading some about the "Sundial" hardtop and it seems like the new ones are a decent option, but wanted to get some other feedback.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180558521466...=p5197.c0.m619

My 911 is a "fun" car. With the old windshield seal and top in its current condition I drove it in all weather conditions including heavy snow (Jeep was out of service for a few days) and never thought much about it. If the car was left outside during a heavy downpour some water got inside but never a big deal and the car is very rarely left outside during a downpour. Pretty much I want a top that will keep some heat in during the colder months, and be something I can put on when I leave the car outside during the work-day in case of a stray rainstorm. Basically I just want an option to have a top "in case of emergency" and for heat retention when it's cold. 100% water-tight isn't a concern, "coupe-like silence" would be nice but not a big deal. I suppose I could just get the correct seal and continue using my top in its current condition, but I have seen some concerns with that idea and really like the hardtop idea.

So questions

1) Will the Sundial top fit in my trunk? It seemed the response was that it was OK without power brakes. I do have a strut brace, does that interfere?

2) Are there other/better options than the Sundial that are in the same price range?

3) Is a new Sundial a good/reliable option? I have read some concerns but also some glowing reviews on here... any consensus on the current product?

I have also been reviewing this thread
    Fiberglass targa top build and that looks promising, but apparently not ready yet?

Thanks!

member #1515
    I have a Saratoga plexiglass top and a rebuilt top that was done by Dan. I like the Saratoga in the winter but it is so rigid it tend to creak when the chassis moves. The original top has enough flexibility that it has no noise. I think you'll be more satisfied in the long run with a rebuild by Dan.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I went with the Sundialent top a few years ago. Reasons? It's lighter, it adds a degree of stiffness and it allows more headroom for the helmet at the track. I wasn't happy with the black textured finish. After much trial, error, painting and re-painting (and many hundreds of $$$$!) it is now sanded smooth and painted in a satin gray. The fit is excellent. Wind noise is close to coupe-standards. There is no water leakage. I don't know if it fits in the trunk - I never bother to remove it.

Name:  2012 Graywolf 021.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  163.8 KBName:  2012 Sundialent Top 05.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  214.2 KB

Curt,

How does it attach? Does it lock in with the levers like a stock top?
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Hey Ryan, the attachment will have the purists running for the exits, but ... the top comes with some halfass-looking screws with plastic knurled knobs. You have to punch 2 small holes thru the factory vinyl on the windshield frame The screws are inserted into a threaded sleeve molded into each front corner of the top. I replaced the knobs with small socket cap screws and washers. I can crank these down tight and it really helps with the air-sealing.

Name:  sundialent top 2.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  94.4 KB

Thanks Curt.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

factory hard top

Hi guys !!!!

...one picture of the factory hard top added to a '71 targa.

seals on the side are no langer available, so i've got a little work over the winter....

...i think it creates a special look

planning to do it in flat black....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you read all the Sundialent threads you will hear a lot of dissatisfaction. Given Curt's experience, it sounds like you can get a great result if you are willing to do some serious work on it after you get it. I wonder why none of the normal fiberglass guys seem to make a very high quality nicely finished product? I would have been a customer when I had my Targa.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)