Thread: Rear sway bar bushing into shackle

Rear sway bar bushing into shackle

I need to replace the bushings (the ones which seat in the ball pins) in my rear sway bar shackles --- I have read the service manual description, but wondered if anyone could pass along their "real world experience" on accomplishing this task. I have the replacement bushings in hand, and at this point the sway bar is still bolted to the car. Thanks in advance,

Bob
    Last edited by redcar; 11-24-2012 at 11:07 AM.

On my 1973 they went in fairly easily. I removed the swaybar and replaced all of the bushings at the same time. I cleaned them up and repainted them. One of the drop links original welds looked a little weak so I went over it with a mig welder. I knocked the old bushing out of the drop link with a hammer and screw driverThe new bushings went in easy using a vice. I used a pry bar to lever the ball into the socket bushing after I re-installed the swaybar.
    If you don't remove the swaybar, a good size pair of channel locks will work to squeeze the bushing into the drop link.

Did you push the "closed end" in first? And did you lubricate the bushing to help it push in to the shackle; and if so what did you use? Thanks,

Bob

I always lube them liberally then pop them on with a large channel lock as described above. You can use wheel bearing grease, anti seize, vaseline etc. I have had some REALLY tight ones that I actually drilled a relief hole in the center of to allow some flex, and a spot for the trapped air to escape through.
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

I did this several months ago.

To install into the shackle: lube with silicone grease and push open end first into shackle.
    To install onto ball: use a C-clamp and simply tighten until bushing seats onto ball. It's helpful to have an extra set of hands while tightening C-clamp to keep it from sliding off. I used my 9 year old.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Drop the bushing in some boiling water for a few moments and it will become much more pliable and easier to install.

Task accomplished -- bushings swapped out!!

I followed your suggestions, but still a major bitch to get the bushings into the shackles, but in the end they finally popped into place. Pressing the bushings onto the two balls was almost anti-climatic -- they levered on pretty easily using a pry bar.

Thanks so much for all of your help -- I could not have done it without your collective input.

Bob