Thread: Early shroud question...

Early shroud question...

I have a black early shroud with no "hump" (that would normally mate with the seperate tan plastic oil cooler duct). This is flat back to the oil cooler. Strangly yesterday, As I was sorting through some engine tin, I also found a shaped piece of steel that looked like it would sit comfortably on this shroud and "cap" the oil cooler. It is a three sided piece...nicely stamped. I found a longblock in the shop and tried the steel cover over the oil cooler (corner of the engine) and it fit perfectly. All the appropriate holes in the cover, coresponded to the holes in the cooler and that side of the longblock (sorry I forgot to take pics). Can someone steer me to what year(s) this shroud and cover would have been for? For that matter, When did the shrouds start to be shaped to provide the ducting from the fan to send air over to the cooler? Everything in my shop has the ducting, but my engines are 69 and newer...so it is logically earlier than that. I can get pics tonight, if needed.
    Thanks

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Air shroud

There is no such part listed or indicated in the '65 thru '68 factory parts manuals. Interedsting. Brian
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

There was no direct cooling duct to the oil cooler until 1970. The first ones were the long, gray riveted ducts, the later style had the removable covers on the cooler.

Prior to that the shrouds were flat on top and had that removable metal piece for the cooler that you found.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

So this is the shroud and cap

Looks like what has been discussed. Any way to date it? And I now see that I have a green one also...must be 69 E material...eh?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    registry# 1283

69E would have cutouts for injectors and pump adjustment.

Your black one is 2.0L T or normal up to 69.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

green one...

It also has the holes for the MFI pump pedestal.

Thanks for the schooling Marco...'preciate it
    registry# 1283