Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help me identify this alternator

please help me identify this alternator

Pics below. Can anyone tell me the make, year(s) and wattage? What other marks or measurements can I provide to help in the identification? TIA.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Looks like a 69-74 Marelli. A Bosch will usually have an identifying tag rivited to the housing. A Bosch will usually have the field terminal on the brush holder, and the thread pitch of the pulley nut is coarse, while the Marelli is a fine pitch, (1.25 vs. 1.00 I think from memory) Usually that rear bearing cover plate has Marelli on it, but that looks to have been blasted off. Those are generally 500 watt units.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks, Ed. I will check the threads.
    Bill G.

Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating

Ed, you mean Motorola/Marchal SEV. Should be red, this one has been painted. Also missing "trio" (only one in the Motorola) diode plate.

Also this has been converted to internal regulator, that is the silver box where the brush holder should be. Maybe that is why they removed the trio diode? Odd.

I don't like internal regulators 2" from the engine case.
    Last edited by 304065; 11-27-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I just said Marelli to see if anybody would catch that At least that's what I used to tell my students when they caught me in mistake !! Ditto on the internal regulators! defies all rules of electronics by putting them right above a major source of heat. However if it weren't for alternator failures there wouldn't be much to do on 3.2 Carreras!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Banned
    Nothing says Pep Boys like spray painting a "rebuilt" (doubt it) alternator after it's all together. I would think twice about using it; brand new Veleo's aren't that expensive.
    Also you might want to spend $22 for a new pulley half; yours is pretty worn and will just create extra wear on the fan hub.

This is the way your S.E.V. Marchal/Motorola Alternator looked before it was "improved". I think it looked better the old way.

Regards

Jim

Yes, Jim, that looks much nicer. Unfortunately, it looked that way before and after the rebuild. The internal regulator had already been added and the plate removed.

I suppose the best thing to do is pull it all apart to check the brushes, bushings and bearings to see if they have indeed been replaced.

I don't suppose there's spare parts readily available to return it to its former original glory?

EDIT: Also, couldn't my alternator still be externally regulated but with a different brush plate and the large red plate removed? What is it exactly that the red plate does? Look at the one here advertised by Vertex. Looks just like mine, but without the cheesy silver paint. I'll pull that plate tonight and check. I suspect it's just a different brush plate that is available as an assembly rather than the remanufacturer going through the trouble of soldering new brushes onto the old plate.
    Last edited by 911scfanatic; 11-28-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Bill G.

Banned
    A brand new alt is less than $400. Your time has to be worth something?

This is a spare, so I don't even need it.

When I work on Porsches, I'm off the clock. I do it to relax so it's not a big deal. I enjoy this stuff.
    Bill G.