Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Momo Prototipo 1966 steering wheel

1966 Momo Prototipo

I want to show you this rare 1966 Momo "Prototipo" steering wheel, from a early 911coupè 2.0, diam: 360mm., it's like an old bomber jacket, the leather has some of the most beautiful patina of the time ...

Name:  momo1966prototipo360mm_porsche911.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  98.5 KBName:  momo_prototipo1966.JPG
Views: 1544
Size:  404.0 KBName:  momo_prototipo1966hb.JPG
Views: 1319
Size:  307.0 KBName:  momo_prototipo1966logo.JPG
Views: 1304
Size:  322.9 KB
    Last edited by ribachio; 11-29-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Lovely... the one to have in my view. What is the logo configuration on the back? If it's the stacked MO-MO, then it would be dated between 1968-73
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Mark, on the back is engraved on the ray:
    MO
    MO
    Any other code is legible
    I trust that the early 60's prototipos had the prototipo logo at the bottom of the central ray, don'you think?
    cheers
    ric.

Ric... from what I've been able to determine over the years, the earliest prototipos -- from 1966-67 -- had one of three possible stamping on the back: 1. 'MOMO' that is NOT designed like the momo logo. 2. the stamping 'PAT MOMO ITALY' or 3. '12707-MOMO-MADE IN ITALY'.

Either way, it doesn't really matter -- first-generation prototipo wheels such as your example-- with the name prototipo engraved at the bottom of the center spoke, are extremely rare and difficult to find in good condition. Congratulations on finding this beautiful old MOMO. I've had several silver ones but for some reason the black spoked versions are a tough score.
    If you have one ... keep it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 11-27-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Name:  ARownersClubMag1978prototipo1973.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  69.3 KBThis is from 1978 AlfaRomeo Owner's mag (UK) and should refer to 1973 Momo prototipo "2nd series" when the logo was more high, under the big hole of the central ray
    Also medium diam of dish and flat type was changed from 360 to 350mm.

Mark, thank you so much! I've just purchased this wheel and the price is really very high. I agree all the possible documents about early prototipos in the second half of the 60's. After the "pre-momo" period...

What is the value of this wheel, looks stunning
    Phil Hindley
    Tech 9 Motorsport
    United Kingdom

www.tech-9.co.uk

Early S registry membership #2207

65 911 Racecar
    82 911 SC Coupe
    91 944 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ribachio View Post
    Name:  ARownersClubMag1978prototipo1973.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  69.3 KBThis is from 1978 AlfaRomeo Owner's mag (UK) and should refer to 1973 Momo prototipo "2nd series" when the logo was more high, under the big hole of the central ray Also medium diam of dish and flat type was changed from 360 to 350mm.
    That's pretty interesting ... it's surely possible '73 is when the 2nd version was introduced. I recently saw a very early second generation prototipo with the stacked MO-MO logo on the back (see photo below). I'd never seen that before. Usually they will have the straight-line MOMO configuration on the front. And, most people couldn't care less about something like this... but it answered an important question for me.

Interest in these wheels is good for me because I can show this thread to my wife and tell her I'm not the only crazy person out there.

Phil, on value: depends on if it's silver or black and what diameter. Silver is more common. And, like most old stuff, it's all driven by condition. The black 360mm diameter prototipos like ribachio's above are not easy to find. One like his could be $800-1600 and possibly more. One the other hand, you could find one at a swap meet for $100.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 11-27-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

>Thanks Pht9 and Mark, yes the value of a 1st generation Prototipo like mine is very high, for this mine more than what declared by Mark...now I must take the decision to sell but price is not really fixed at the moment.

I want to show now this early 70's special Prototipo for Ferrari Dino 246gt, the bottom of the central ray is leather covered, so holes are 2 like the other rays. On the back of the wheel is engraved MADE IN ITALY 20340. Do you think Mark that should be a 1972-1973?Name:  Prototipo20240Dino246.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  39.7 KBName:  Prototipo20240Dino246ray.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  45.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ribachio View Post
    ... Do you think Mark that should be a 1972-1973?
    Since we see the straight line MOMO configuration, I would say 1974-76. After 1976 would have a date stamped on the back. ... earlier would have the:
    MO
    MO

style logo.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org