Thread: On a 68 swb can I use...

On a 68 swb can I use...

Use the rear cross member from a 1989 model would the steel have the same pressings?

Would the front inner quarter where the gas tank pipe passes through have the same pressings as Swb? Just the six inches around the filler pipe?

Regards Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

The crossmember latch panel at the rear of car
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

For everyday driving what clutch set would you recommend for the 1968 swb s
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Rich,

On the fender I don't know for certain but I think it's the same curvature, SWB fenders are shorter on the ends.

On the rear crossmember I say no, the LWB cars had a rectangular raised portion on each end to provide a contact surface for the bumpers. The SWB do not have this provision-- I think it came on in the early 70s.

The standard 215mm Sachs clutch set, which is a commodity item and retails for around $385 including the throwout bearing, should be used. People get fired up about clutches but for standard SWB power levels and street durability this setup is perfectly adequate.

Racing is a different story and there are many options available for "sport" pressure plates with higher clamping pressures and you can easily spend thousands of dollars on the clutch. I would rather change it every year at the annual engine drop and be money ahead, of course this is not necessary with a 2,0 160HP Euro "S" motor.
    Last edited by 304065; 12-04-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Rectangle bump on the rear latch panel

Here is a later latch panel (typical replacement panel) that was added to a early 912.
    This is the bump that John points out in the above post... boy is he good.

That area was flat up to at least the early 1970's as exampled by this MFI car.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 12-04-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Bob LOL it was YOUR original discovery of the "bump" and photos that jogged my memory in the first place!

(p.s. I see that Restoration Design is now stamping gas tank supports without the "bump." The market is listening!)
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen