Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade a 3.2 to a 2.2 T ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Would you trade a 3.2 to a 2.2 T ?

Greetings,

Quick one, but not an easy one : would you trade a 3.2 1988 G50 to a 2.2T or 2.4T (both in perfect condition) ?
    Not the same car for sure.
    Cannot keep two (budget and space only for one).
    G type 3.2 is multipurpose
    F-Type 2.2 is stylish.

Am using my 3.2 as a true daily, going to work, shopping, going to the sea coast (700miles return), get the Christmas tree on the roof rack, and few track days a year. Smooth on the highway.
    I had in the past a 2.0 911L (SHE) I was forced to sold. I was fond of her. I tried to use it daily, but the S engine (replacement of the L) was a pain as a daily driver here in Paris suburb. I did even many track days with. Highways is also a bit of a pain, as 130km/h engine revs are 4000 with lot of engine "sound" in the cockpit.

Not many of us using a T as a true daily driver, any feedback ?

I should put a 3.2 in the 2.2 .
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Not as a daily driver I'd say. If you have to go for a T, than try to find a USA one (i.e., with MFI or the later with K-Jetronic) ... I hate carbs.
    BTW, impact bumpers are now getting fashionable since the Singer Turbo study ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

I think you may have answered your own question. If you intend to use it as a daily driver with the occasional cross-country trip and track day, the 3.2 makes more sense. For a daily driver 2.0/2.2/2.4 that will see a lot of urban and suburban use, a T or E might be more practical.

Dare I say even a Sportomatic? The original owner of my 2.2T registered the car in the Hamptons area of Long Island in New York, but I found a parking decal and permit in the car for a parking garage on the East Side of New York City that was near the UN and Bellevue Hospital. So at least some of the time he was driving it in NYC traffic, probably commuting between there and the Hamptons.

FWIW I did notice a black 912 in use around Les Halles on more than one occasion this past July.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

That’s a hard choice to make but, I think you’ve provided the answer. 3.2 transplant.

I’d love a daily 911 (constant joy) but, it’s not as practical with the 50+ yr old cars though the G50 cars are inching up there lol. Also don’t know that I could give up my 2.2.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Do you want a street legal car in France, or not?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    The issue with the transplant, as Samuel says, this would make the 2.2 outlaw for real. Road regulations are very very strict in France.
    Basically no modifications allowed, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    That’s a hard choice to make but, I think you’ve provided the answer. 3.2 transplant.

I’d love a daily 911 (constant joy) but, it’s not as practical with the 50+ yr old cars though the G50 cars are inching up there lol. Also don’t know that I could give up my 2.2.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I like the older cars. I want to experience them, maintain them, discover them, improve them, preserve them.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Another consideration in France are the changing tax assessments on non-electric older vehicles. What does the future look for each of your choices? But if you are forced to choose only one based upon what you've said, and you currently use your 3.2 as a daily driver, then as nice to look at as the 2.2 is, it isnt really a daily driver. It sounds like you'd be forced into another different daily car anyway if you sold your 3.2. If I were in your situation I think Id lean toward the one I could use and enjoy more, the 3.2. Good luck.

No way on that trade

Galvanized body
    G-50 transmission (with normal H pattern)
    Bulletproof engine with actual torque
    HVAC that works ie heats and cools

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier PJB View Post
    The issue with the transplant, as Samuel says, this would make the 2.2 outlaw for real. Road regulations are very very strict in France.
    Basically no modifications allowed, at all.
    Whoa! Didn’t know that. As I used to say in the 80’s. That blows chunks!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586