Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tire recommendations

tire recommendations

Hi,

what tires would you recommend for a 1969 911S with original fuchs?

i was told the following options:
    Pirelli P6000 N2
    Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    Goodyear Eagle GT

thank you

What size are you looking for?
    What kind of drivng do you plan on doing with the tires?
    How original of a look would you like?

Just a few things to consider when deciding on tires.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

If you want a more vintage look but with modern rubber compounds I think these are the most common:

Michelin XWX
    Avon CR6ZZ
    Vredestein Sprint Classic

They are 15" but i don't have the exact dimensions handy. One question is whether there would be a material difference between performance and all-season tires given the modern rubber is so much more sophisticated than the car was designed to use.

thank you

For the street...I love the look and the feel of my Vredestein Sprint Classics. They are reasonably priced and wear well too.
    Last edited by FL-Frank; 12-11-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

You are going to get as many opinions as there are tire makers and sizes out there, but here is my .02 cents.

You car originally came with Michelin 185/70 XWX V rated tires.

The modern equivalent that comes closest in size and 'look' is 195/65.

A 205/60 will also fit.

Having just changed from some 205/60 tires that I put 3k miles on to a 195/65, here a few observations:

The car looks better with the 195/65. The car drives a lot better as well. I attribute this to going to a Michelin tire which I have always had good luck with and potentially the fact that this tire most closely approximates the original tires on the car.

In the end, if you choose a modern tire, make sure you pick a brand and model that looks to be here for a while. In other words, don't get stuck with 4 of the last of a run of something, only to have to replace all of them if you get a flat down the road that is unrepairable.

The Vredestein and Michelin XWX repops mentioned above will absolutely look the best. The Michelin XWX's from Coker are around 5 to 600 a piece now. Completely ridiculous unless you plan to show the car or money is just no object.

Finally, I would argue that any modern tire compound and tread pattern would be superior in quality and handling to what we nostalgically refer to as the correct tires for the car.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I also ran 205/60 tires for a while on my 6" wide Fuchs. They drive nicely but were a HARD rubber compound that didn't really give the performance I was looking for.
    I've recently switched to the Avon 185/70 tires. At about $250/wheel they are midway between the Vreds and the silly expensive XWX repops.
    I was most concearned with performance AND vintage look. I still love the Avons, but as they are DOT race tires, I don't expect to get more than 6K miles out of them. Since I only put about 2,500 miles/year on the car, I can live with this lifespan. I also would 't expect them to be optimal in the rain.... but I avoid rain so no worry.
    I'd also endorse the Vreds for a nice period look on stock width wheels.

As was said above, if you go beyond the "period" look there are many tires that will work.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

This is great information. thank you

The Vred is HR rated in the 185/70-15 size. Fine if you never plan on driving your car flat out. But a disaster in the making if you do.
    Not many of us do go flat out, but be aware 130 mph is the max rated speed for that tire. The XWX is VR rated, which is matched to the capabilities of an S.
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 12-11-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    You are going to get as many opinions as there are tire makers and sizes out there, but here is my .02 cents.

You car originally came with Michelin 185/70 XWX V rated tires.

The modern equivalent that comes closest in size and 'look' is 195/65.

A 205/60 will also fit.

Having just changed from some 205/60 tires that I put 3k miles on to a 195/65, here a few observations:

The car looks better with the 195/65. The car drives a lot better as well. I attribute this to going to a Michelin tire which I have always had good luck with and potentially the fact that this tire most closely approximates the original tires on the car.

In the end, if you choose a modern tire, make sure you pick a brand and model that looks to be here for a while. In other words, don't get stuck with 4 of the last of a run of something, only to have to replace all of them if you get a flat down the road that is unrepairable.

The Vredestein and Michelin XWX repops mentioned above will absolutely look the best. The Michelin XWX's from Coker are around 5 to 600 a piece now. Completely ridiculous unless you plan to show the car or money is just no object.

Finally, I would argue that any modern tire compound and tread pattern would be superior in quality and handling to what we nostalgically refer to as the correct tires for the car.
    You are right - the Michelins are $500/tire. the Vredesteins are $160/tire. Same price as the Pirellis. anyone use the Pirellis?