Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing a 72T

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

Towing a 72T

Hey guys, I'm moving and need to have the car towed from my house to the new place. I would drive it but there is salt everywhere. I'm just curious as to the proper tie down for the car on the tow truck so the driver doesn't mess anything up. Just wanting to be careful. Thanks in advance...
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Different ways of doing it, strap through the wheel spoke, strap around the front control arms, strap around lower shock mounting (okay for short distances) strap around rear control arm, but the operator needs to make sure he doesn't run the strap around the BRAKE line. Seen that plenty of times! Of course there is the tow hook in the front center,,,,,,if it isn't rusty!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, did you just recommend the front tow hook?!?!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I've never been a fan of the wheel thing. I feel like the strap could scuff the wheels. I guess they arent in brilliant shape anyways...maybe i'll have them do that.
    -Kris Clewell

Never been a fan of the front tow hook attached to the front pan as the front pan is not that strong and you can end up bending the pan. If the car is drivable, why not drive the car up onto the ramp rather than have it winched up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Ed, did you just recommend the front tow hook?!?!
    I figured that was better than the rear view mirror mount
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I figured that was better than the rear view mirror mount
    The way I see it, If the tow hook is being used by a tow truck driver, I'm already in deep sh!@.
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 12-22-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    -Kris Clewell

I, and just about everyone I race with, does the same - tie it down by the wheels (2 or 4 depending on preference), out of gear and hand brake off.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

I swear by tire straps. Name:  attachment2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  141.8 KB

He won't have that luxurey Curt, it will be whatever the roll-back wrecker driver has available on his truck.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.