Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck Lid grille

Deck Lid grille

Hello 911 people,

Is there anybody out there who can straighten/refurbish my 68 engine deck lid grille or who has a really nice one to sell?

Bob Stia

I sent you a PM.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

I have one for my project but I am not sure if it is the correct one for the 68 model.

Here it is:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  203.5 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  292.9 KB

Can anyone please tell me if this one is correct for a 68, as this model year has so many specific details...?

If it is not, and if anyone is looking for one like this, I am interested on exchanging it for a 68.

This one is already sand blasted and in prety good condition. Needs polishing.

My April factory delivery '68 has the later version. Your pics may be correct for early '68 builds.
    -Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1968 912 Sunroof, Irish Green (original owner)
    1985 911, Prussian Blue (sold)
    2010 Carrera 4S, Porsche Racing Green

That's 67 and earlier.....BTW, for the future, the sandblasting was not the way to go................................. The grille is anodized aluminum and the sandblasting makes it pretty much impossible, pragmatically, to ever get it right again.

That may or may not fit your 68. Look at your engine deck lid. If it has the central single bar it will not. Your grille is the later type but may have been used on your ccar.

The sandblasted grille pictured is for the lid with the center vertical bar...It's the earliest type. The 68's don't have the bar (although, as mentioned, the very earliest 68's MAY have used the early grille/lid.......

Early 1968's used the split deck lid and grille. I believe it was changed some time toward the end of 1967 (Dec?). Pic is my original early '68 rear split decklid. Car is a '68 model but was built in late August/early September 1967.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I beleive when you say "early 68" you reffer to Karman produced ones... (???)
    Mine is not. It is chassis # 11820296.

Is the 68 rear deck lid and the grille the same as the further models (69-72) or is also specific?

Thanks for your contributions!

Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    The sandblasted grille pictured is for the lid with the center vertical bar...It's the earliest type. The 68's don't have the bar (although, as mentioned, the very earliest 68's MAY have used the early grille/lid.......
    I don't have the original deck lid from this car. I bought an used one (split type) as I have been told that it was the correct one.
    Well, will have to try and sell it with the grille, in order to buy the correct one...