Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many 4 speeds

How many 4 speeds

Wanted to know if there is any info on how many 4 speeds were produced for the 2.2's? It seems more 5 speeds were produced based on what I have seen out there for sale, although it was an option, or maybe there were more automatics. Is this info available anywhere for each year?

Second question. My '70 T has a fiberglass S front bumper that I want to swap out for a standard steel bumper. How do you tell the difference between an earlier bumper (up to '68) and the '69+ bumper? I read somewhere it was the mounting brackets but I don't how they would be different. Would anyone have pictures to illustrate? I just want to make sure I buy the correct bumper. Thanks.
    Last edited by Irish911; 12-26-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Hi Irish,
    I don't believe that there are any reliable statistics regarding the number of 4 speed v. 5 speed cars produced in the 69-73 cars. It does exist for the sporto versus manual cars though as Porsche designated VIN numbers to differentiate them, just like they did for coupé v. Targa cars.
    As regards your question about differences between SWB and LWB cars, there are two ways that you can tell. The first is that the LWB front bumper is slightly wider at the outer ends in order to match up with the wider wheel well flares on the LWB cars. A LWB bumper will not line up exactly to a SWB car's front fenders. In addition, if I remember correctly, the mounting brackets for the under the bumper mounted foglights are different.
    Hope that helps...

Thanks Gruen911. WRT the bumpers, how are the brackets different so if I look at them I can tell if they are from a 2.0 or a 2.2? If someone has some pictures to illustrate that would be even better as I will probably only have pictures to look at when deciding on a bumper.

Name:  911 Side.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  48.7 KB

This is a 4-speed. I've never seen another one. One Porsche shop called me a told me I had a transmission problem because they couldn't get 5th gear to engage. Duh

Richard Newton
    Facebook

As regards 4 v. 5 speed gearboxes, I am pretty sure that all 1970-73 911T cars came with a 4 speed standard gearbox. The 5 speed gearbox was an upgrade option for the 2.2 and 2.4 911T cars. The 5 speed was standard on the E and S cars. I have owned one 4 speed 70T car and it shifted very well. With the "H" pattern it was like shifting a 915 gearbox but without a 5th gear. The 4 speed 911T has the same top speed as a 5 speed 911T because the top gear on a 4 speed is the same as top gear on a 5 speed.

SWB front bumpers have horizontal captive nuts to hold on the bumper brackets. LWB bumpers have verticle captive nuts to attach the brackets. I'll post pictures later this morning.

Regards

Jim

Jim, thanks, I look forward to seeing the pictures so I know what I am looking for. Richard, I have a 4 speed as well if that is yours in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish911 View Post
    Jim, thanks, I look forward to seeing the pictures so I know what I am looking for. Richard, I have a 4 speed as well if that is yours in the picture.
    Here are the pictures
    Picture # 1 is a SWB bumper with the bracket
    Picture # 2 is the same bumper with the bracket removed
    Picture # 3 is a LWB bumper with the bracket
    Picture # 4 is the same bumper with the bracket removed

Ciao

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks Jim, those pictures are great. Very much appreciated and easy to see the difference.

I don't have my car here at the moment so I can' check but it looks like the brackets are at the same location as the bumper guards. Is that correct? Are the brackets you removed interchangable with the S type and standard bumper? That is could I use the existing brackets from my S bumper for the standard bumper once I get one or will I need to purchase those as well? Also should there be aluminum or steel trim on the ends of the bumpers (next to the wheels)? My rear bumpers have them but the S bumper does not. If they are not on the bumper should there at least be holes for mounting this trim? Again many thanks for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish911 View Post
    Thanks Jim, those pictures are great. Very much appreciated and easy to see the difference.

I don't have my car here at the moment so I can' check but it looks like the brackets are at the same location as the bumper guards. Is that correct? Are the brackets you removed interchangable with the S type and standard bumper? That is could I use the existing brackets from my S bumper for the standard bumper once I get one or will I need to purchase those as well? Also should there be aluminum or steel trim on the ends of the bumpers (next to the wheels)? My rear bumpers have them but the S bumper does not. If they are not on the bumper should there at least be holes for mounting this trim? Again many thanks for the pictures.
    . I have seen POS, fiberglass bumpers that use stock brackets and those that don't. You will have to remove your bumper to tell if you have the brackets or not. Correect "S" bumpers and regular bumpers use the same brackets. Here is a picture of a fiberglass bumper that uses the correct brackets for a LWB car. Hopefully, your bumper will be just like this POS. Front bumpers do not have any bright work on the ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images