Thread: Introducing "Brownie" - an adventure of restoring a 72 Coupe

Cool Introducing "Brownie" - an adventure of restoring a 72 Coupe

I have really appreciated everyone's guidance and help over the years on this forum (and the "bird") so I thought I would try and pay it back by creating a chronicle of repairs/improvements/tricks on my new restoration project, a two owner original unmodified and neglected 1972T Coupe in Sepia Brown (or as my 4 year old daughter calls it the "brownie" and we call it something else).

Over the last 6 or so years I have transitioned from my original Porsche purchase (1971 S Targa) to a 1970 Vintage Race Car turned R Gruppe to a 1985 One Owner Carrera to a 1992 Carrera 2 and some fix and flips in between. Clearly I can't make up my mind on what Porsche I want to keep! After attending the Rennsport Reunion last year car less and seeing all of the early long hoods I decided once again to go down that path so I decided to start looking for a nice long hood. Well as all of us know, the prices have absolutely sky rocketed and it seemed for the quality I was looking for it would be out of reach financially so I decided against my wife's valid concern (and yes still paying the price) and started looking for a driver/cosmetic restoration project. All I had to do was look in my backyard, well actually 5 miles from my house!

The coupe had been a local car for the last 20 years and was bought by a fellow Denver restoration expert 10 years ago. He drove the car until one day while driving on a nice Sunday afternoon he noticed some parts bouncing off of the pavement in front of the car and then a sudden bang and drop in the front, yep the front tank support was rusted so badly that the a-arm mounts had collapsed and parts just fell off. The owner didn't feel like having a lowrider so he just parked it in the back of his shop. The car had spent some time outside...back inside, then partially dismantled...engine and tranny taken out and pickled and finally back outside under a tarp. I originally noticed the car five years ago while sourcing parts for my 71S Targa. The owner was adamant that he would restore the car some day and would never sell. Well last fall/winter I was on the hunt once again for an early car and was reminded of the 72 under the tarp. I made a call and met the owner and worked a deal where we agreed on a price and that he would complete the necessary bodywork and paint. The Porsche god was shining brightly that day!

The original plan was too complete a nice driver level restoration with a strict budget in place, however, over the last 8 months that has gone to crap and now has turned into an almost concourse restoration (you know how it goes...well since I am in there) with a few updates/changes. I will attempt to complete all the work necessary except for the paint and body, although I will help as much as I can.

And finally let the adventure begin!

Once the car was rolled into the shop (actually pulled in with a chain and good ole John Deere tractor), I had the opportunity to look the car and damage over more closely. The running gear is in excellent condition and the engine has been rebuilt in the past. However, it has been taken down to a longblock - maybe an opportunity to add 2.2S pistons and cams???? Although we have a dry climate here in Colorado we still face the rust bug; a new front suspension pan will be needed and few other minor areas that will need repair - rockers, longitudinals, torsion tubes and other important areas are bone dry! Interior is complete but totally toasted from the sun - will need a complete redo. All in all an excellent uncut 72 that will definitely be a keeper.

So now comes the scary part - actually starting the process of restoration. How much rust is really there, how much stuff is really missing, what can I compromise on and what can I splurge on and finally can I really keep my budget....stay tuned as we walk thru the process.

NOTE - IT HAS BEEN 8 MONTHS SINCE I HAVE STARTED THE RESTO, SO I HAVE SOME CATCHING UP TO DO WITH THE POSTS...here is the beginning of the long journey.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1971 S Targa - Gone
    1970 S Coupe Vintage Racer turned RGruppe - Gone
    1973 T Coupe - Gone
    1972 T Coupe - Gone
    1970 T Coupe - Gone
    1997 993 Coupe - Last of the air cooled

Beginning of demolition

Well I always enjoy the dismantling or more appropriately demolition of a car the most fun, as you are not too worried about damaging anything and it usually goes pretty quick. Luckily some of the car was already dismantled for me by the previous owner (doors, fenders, bumpers, etc.). The interior was still all there but was horribly toasted from sitting in the Colorado sun for 10 years.

Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (76).JPG
Views: 547
Size:  295.4 KB

Pedal cluster unfortunately looked horrible, this will need the time consuming and not too glorious rebuild. No rust in the floor boards, just surface on the cluster, success #1.

Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (79).JPG
Views: 568
Size:  266.0 KB

Dash removal, or should I just say how to destroy a dash. Because the car was sun damaged, everytime I touched the dash, that area would literally crumble - not pretty. So to save some effort I just pulled it off with disregard to the attachments. If someone cares, the proper way to remove a dash is to remove the retaining nuts accessed thru the instrument holes and also thru the speaker opening. Lastly you can then carefully pry the dash up and the plastic retainers will snap loose. Budget already dented for a new or clean used dash!

Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (81).JPG
Views: 578
Size:  281.8 KB
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (82).JPG
Views: 566
Size:  264.3 KB

More to come...
    1971 S Targa - Gone
    1973 T Coupe - Gone
    1972 T Coupe - Gone
    1970 T Coupe - Gone

After dismantling the interior, it was on to the engine compartment. Should be no problems here...
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (85).JPG
Views: 473
Size:  278.5 KB
    Well on second thought...
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (86).JPG
Views: 471
Size:  275.6 KB
    Damn, the rust bug has bitten and hard! This is why it is so important to really and I mean really check out a car in detail before buying. From the outside looking in there was no way that you could see that the package shelf was literally being held together by the sound pad. Only way to have detected this was to start poking around with a screw driver or other device. This was surprise #1 and will come at a great cost of a total package shelf replacement.
    1971 S Targa - Gone
    1973 T Coupe - Gone
    1972 T Coupe - Gone
    1970 T Coupe - Gone

Should be a great thread!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

The rest of the inside area turned out okay, just some surface rust in the seat pans. The original sepia brown over spray and glue sure makes the interior looks like it is a rust bucket. This area will need some poking around just to make sure...
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (89).JPG
Views: 393
Size:  301.8 KB
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (90).JPG
Views: 396
Size:  283.0 KB

And finally the majority of the interior and major exterior items have been taken off and now some real work can be accomplished. Great seeing that $1000+ dash just sitting there crumbling, oh well...no one said Porsche's are cheap!
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (96).JPG
Views: 384
Size:  297.4 KB

The first items will be to strip the body and take a look in detail at the items that need attention and possible new gremlins that show up...
    Last edited by sam71TargaS; 12-31-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    1971 S Targa - Gone
    1973 T Coupe - Gone
    1972 T Coupe - Gone
    1970 T Coupe - Gone

That rear window must have been leaking pretty bad.

Whats the orogonal colour brown, mine is a Sepia Brown 2.4S

Since the car was sitting out in the Colorado sun for 10 years, all of the rubber moldings were badly rotten, which allowed water to seep in and the rear interior package panel and the sound pad just absorbed that water. Unfortunately as you will see that was not the only surprise that I found when stripping the car...
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (87).JPG
Views: 267
Size:  298.0 KB
    Since the package tray was completely gone, I figured that I might find some problems in the lower corners of the rear window...sure enough after a little stripping found some big problems. This unfortunately looks too bad to just be a patch, will require cutting out and complete replacement.
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (91).JPG
Views: 266
Size:  276.9 KB
    Another area where water and dirt got trapped and left a nice little rust hole. This also caused the fender joining panel strip to rust as well.
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (92).JPG
Views: 283
Size:  299.0 KB
    And the aforementioned suspension pan, which will need to be completely cut out and replaced. Other minor body imperfections have been found such as a old repair to the passenger rocker and passenger quarter panel.

My next project is to start sorting thru all of the parts too see what is salvageable and what I need to get. Also I will start some of the easy items to restore such as the pedal cluster and interior trim pieces. Hopefully if it all works out I can get most of the interior ready and some of the suspension work done before paint (which should be in two months or so). I will be helping with some of the bodywork as time permits and will try and do some of the other easy work to save some money such as grinding the rust scaling away and Por 15 it.
    1971 S Targa - Gone
    1973 T Coupe - Gone
    1972 T Coupe - Gone
    1970 T Coupe - Gone

Slow going but was able to cut out part of the front gas tank support and the front latch support lip (where the weatherstripping goes). Unfortunately there was some rust under the tank support where you usually weld the support to, so I will have to cut that out and then weld in a new custom piece prior to fitting the new support from Restoration Design. Next step after this will be to fit and weld in the new support and then I can Por 15 everything and finish with factory undercoating and then a final respray with Sepia Brown. Also will have to custom fabricate the lip for the latch support...
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (97).JPG
Views: 251
Size:  299.9 KB
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (98).JPG
Views: 247
Size:  291.2 KB
    Name:  1972 Porsche 911 (100).JPG
Views: 242
Size:  331.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 S Targa - Gone
    1973 T Coupe - Gone
    1972 T Coupe - Gone
    1970 T Coupe - Gone

I'd suggest you buy new longitudinals from Porsche, the fabrication isn't as easy as you might think. The seal strip for the front was also available the last time I needed one, although that was a couple years ago.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.