Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many RHD 2.2Ss?

How many RHD 2.2Ss?

Can anyone point me to where I might find 911 production numbers on the Internet eg how many RHD 1970S were made?

Thanks

I have never seen any total figure. However for 1970 there were 14 ordered for Australia (and New Zealand combined) and I believe 34 were delivered to UK. That would be the bulk of the RHD cars. South Africa, Hong Kong and maybe a couple of other small markets combined would not add another 10, maybe not even 5. So about 50 to 55 would be my guess out of a total of 1744 coupes made. Obviously there were no RHD targas.

Of course there were also 1971 2.2S's. In Australia there were 12 5 speed cars and 1 sporto ordered, again covering NZ, and I believe in the UK there were 41 RHD and 3 LHD cars delivered. so again probably not more than 60 RHD in total out of 1430 made.

So maybe 120 RHD 2.2 S's in total over two model years?? To put that in perspective there were 117 RHD RS's built.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Perhaps one of our esteemed Brit members can help you.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thanks (again) Hugh and happy new year!

that's fine Mitchell, and happy new year to you as well. I was hoping one of the UK guys could chime in with better figures. How is the work going on yours, bringing it back from wide body, short hood hell? It will be a great car when it is back close to the way it was built.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Good New Year to all.

I have UK figures only, AFN imported 34 1970MY RHD 2.2S's and 44 in 1971MY. Interesting that you have 3 of those 71 cars as LHD Hugh and I have no mention of that.

I know there are very few left on the road in the UK, perhaps less than 10 (I will check) especially in original configuration. Remarkably two unrestored examples surfaced in Scotland close to me in the last few years which caused quite a stir and some eBay woes as the sellers were not quite aware of what they had. This is documented on DDK and I also briefly mentioned them on my thread about the my discovery of 'Eve', the first LWB Versuch prototype E, also in a Scottish barn. Who knows what else might still be out there.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Hi Mike
    On the 3 LHD cars I cant remember who I got that information from but it was posted on DDK some time ago (at least a couple of years) and i copied it onto my spreadsheet on these car.
    There are not many left on the road here either. Mitchell's is UK delivered according to Porsche but was on an official Australian Porsche (Hamilton's list of "Australian cars") list as well, so must have been out here fairly early on. One of the Australian ordered cars was the "Thackwell ST " which is currently in the UK. One 70S went to New Zealand and is still there and I saw one other for sale recently here but not any sign of the others. I have seen mention of 6 out of the 12 of the 71S's in the past couple of years and i understand there is also one extra in NZ. So all in all not many even assuming that there will be some out there that i have not run across in recent years.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Of those imported into the UK I have owned 4 all of which are still on the road. So in total world production for RHD we are estimating 120 ish correct?

These are rare cars. We are restoring on at the moment.

Thanks

Alan

Not to "doubt" where this was going but I somehow knew the word "rare" would show up. And we all know what that means.

Good luck with the restoration Alan.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Here is the rather messy sale of the Scottish eBay car I mentioned. The final, final purchaser is supposed to be a DDKer but to the best of my knowledge this car has not resurfaced as a restoration thread and the owner remains annonymous (to me at least). It would be great to know how it is getting on. Do you know which car it is Alan? Any one of the ones you have had?

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...tland+RHD+2.2S

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681