Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel removal advice

Steering wheel removal advice

Hi all,
    I was wondering what the best way to remove this Cavallino wheel is?
    Thx
    chasName:  1968 911 Coupe 099.JPG
Views: 587
Size:  102.3 KB
    1968 SWB Coupe
    Polo Red
    Member # 2469

1) Take off the horn button/cover. Obtain a 27mm socket with an extension and choice of ratchet or breaker bar. Hold the wheel steady with your thighs pushed into it at 5 and 7 o'clock. Optionally, an impact wrench of the 3/8's variety will make quick work of the nut but may take it all the way off if you are too "enthusiastic". Put the nut back on and proceed.
    2) Once you loosen the nut (don't completely remove it) pull on the wheel until it "releases" its grip on the shaft. If you take the nut off and the wheel is stuck there is a great liklihood that you will hurt yourself when the wheel does comes off during the yanking/pulling session. Teeth have gone missing. Cuts have happened. Blood and cursing too.

Good luck.
    Last edited by sithot; 12-31-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thanks sithot
    does the horn button pop of with a screwdriver blade?
    1968 SWB Coupe
    Polo Red
    Member # 2469

I'm not exactly sure where I got this tip (sonnett43?), but when I couldn't get the wheel off, I did the steps above (leave the nut on there loosely attached) plus:

1) take a slightly smaller socket than the nut and place it over the nut
    2) use a hammer and tap on the socket at the same time as you are pulling the wheel toward you.

This will probably need a second set of hands to assist! The vibration from the tapping is what makes this work. It took about forty taps (while pulling toward me) to get the thing loose, but it was a lot less stressful and you won't bend the steering wheel either.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

you have a old " the club" lying around. They help a lot..

marge

CEO of the Best early 911 parts store in Southern California

www.Schnellautosports.com

This may already be clear from earlier posts, but that vinyl cover in the center is a separate piece. Grab it from the backside and sort of fold it back towards you to release it from the three spokes.

Once that's off you can pull the center horn button out. I usually can get my fingernails in there-be careful if you use a screwdriver as you can scratch the black anodizing on the wheel.

Then it's on to the 27mm socket and other advice above.
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

Thx Todd
    do you mean pry it towards me from the top of the pad?
    1968 SWB Coupe
    Polo Red
    Member # 2469

member #1515
    When loosening the nut do not use the locking function of the steering column to act as a counterforce, use something like the club as mentioned above. Otherwise you could damage the locking device.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Yes...put your fingers through the top "window" of the steering wheel, pointing towrds the tach, the grab the rear edge of that pad. It's flexible and will sort of "peel off" the metal part of the wheel.

See here how the edges sort of wrap around on the backside of a similar wheel. Just grab those edges and pull them towards you.

Once the vinyl center is off the 6 allen bolts that hold the wheel to the hub are exposed, as is all of the horn button. Pulling the horn button out then exposes the 27mm nut that holds the hub and wheel on to the column.
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

awesome Todd!!
    Thanks
    chas
    1968 SWB Coupe
    Polo Red
    Member # 2469