Thread: My 71E Hotrod Project

My 71E Hotrod Project

Hi All - the stars have lined up for me to build my first long hood 911 hotrod. I raided the parts bins of a couple of local early car friends and was able to pick up a 71E roller that spent some time storming Sebring, Daytona, Road Atlanta and others. Other than a suspension pan that needs replaced, the rest of the car is very solid. Also having a racing history, it has a lot of nice suspension bits already included.

Additionally I was able to pick up a local twin plugged 2.7 with PMOs and headers.

I spend a lot of time on the various threads looking at vintage rallye photos and have thought for a while that it would be cool to build a car with the flavor of a well used rallye car. So, the end result will be a slightly rough around the corners hot rod that should be a lot of fun on weekend runs and maybe the occasional DE.

The car is currently red. The original color was Bahia red, but the current color seems to be a little brighter than I recall Bahia red being. I will stick with the red, but will have the hood and decklid painted flat black and will be adding some select vintage racing decals. I will also go with the standard hot rod inetrior - RS Door Panels, replica R Seats (already own them) and rollbar/harnesses (already own). Wheel choice will be 7 inch wide steelies to go with a nice aggressive/low stance.

Here is the starting point as well as what the car looked like today after I removed all of the current decals and front bumper.

more to come and feedback welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    RGruppe #577 (Dixie Region)
    S Registry #2490

Farrell? This should be fun to watch!
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Great starting point Farrell... looking forward to your updates
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

sweet - can I have your 912?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    sweet - can I have your 912?
    Sure Dave. Come pick it up, the keys are in it.
    S Registry #2490

So, I pulled the script off the decklid in advance of it being painted. The letters were pretty crummy and nasty, so I thought, 'what the hell, I will just throw them in the dishwasher with all of the forks, plates, knives and such and give them a good cleaning." Well they got a good cleaning alright - it removed all of the gold tone from the script. I dont know what my wife uses for dishwashing detergent, but it must be some potent s**t. It might explain my son's green glow that he has all of the time and my daughter's ability to fly.

Anyways, at first I was a little miffed, but then I started to think they may look kind of cool on my car and the rough-around-the-edges (RATE) look I am after. So I hit them quickly with the scotch-brite pad to give them a uniform finish and they turned alright. I am going to work on them a little more, shoot a clearcoat on them and use them.

So, if you have crummy aftermarket script and you dont want the gold to go away, don't stick them in the dishwasher.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ruby911; 01-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    S Registry #2490

Farrell,
    If you have access to a blast cabinet, you might try sand/bead blasting your letters...to give them a nice, uniform, matte finish. I think that would be kind of a cool look.

regards,
    Al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Thanks for the idea Al. Unfortunatley I dont have access to a blast cabinet, so I will be wearing out my scotch-brite pad. I stuck the '911E' badge in the dishwasher a few minutes ago to see if I could get it to match. We'll see.....
    S Registry #2490

Dishwashing soap is highly caustic (sodium hydroxide) and will slightly etch aluminum - they say aluminum pans shouldn't go in the dishwasher...

Sodium hydroxide is also called 'lye' and it is used to strip anodize from alloy pieces. You could probably go for a matte finish by dipping the letters in drain cleaner until you get an even finish.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga