Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commercial TIG Welder in Residential Home Shop

Commercial TIG Welder in Residential Home Shop

This may be a long shot, but I'm curious to learn if anyone else in this forum has done anything like what I'm about to do, successfully...

I recently purchased a commercial TIG welder, specifically, a Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG-355, included were 3 torches and several other accessories. The challenge now is feeding the welder enough amps without dimming the lights to my neighbors homes. My electrical service panel is 200 amps feeding a 40 amp sub-panel located in my detached garage. I realize 40 amps is not going to be anywhere near enough.

My local power company (SCE) even suggested installing my very own 'transformer' on the pole (are you kidding me?). BTW, SCE will only allow one meter per residential address and I was hoping that would not be the case. The idea of having my very own transformer installed on the existing power pole is tempting, SCE also tells me they will allocate approximately $1,700 per household toward the total cost of a transformer installation which could be well over $4,500 (the balance would be on me). Having my own step-down transformer on a pole sounds great, but I think is a bit overkill, sort of like my new welder (LOL!)

One solution currently contemplating is dropping the existing power line from the pole to a new header in my garage (instead to the house like it is now) and upgrading the garage 40-amp electrical panel to 200 amps. After that, I could re-run power from the garage back to the home. Either way I will still dim lights and effect all appliances in the house when arking, all depending on the amp setting on the welder.

Here are a few photos of the welder and the link to the rest of the photos

ET, phone home...

R2-D2...

The welder spent the last 17 years at a R&D aerospace lab, no dust to speak of inside the covers. Amazing after all these years...

A close-up of the front panel, no wear marks on the knobs, switches at all. Very versatile unit with lots of controls.

Look at the size of the electrical receptacle. Wow!

...this unit was manufactured in 1995 (3rd and 4th digit of s/n).

Here is a link to the technical specifications

Are there any Porsche enthusiast "Electricians" out there that can expand on this subject, maybe recommend the minimum electrical equipment required to properly support this thing?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->Any comments, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 01-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.

912->911 conversion
    Oof that's a lot of juice! Was the welder a good deal, or do you really need something that heavy duty? What are you going to be welding?

Here is another forum you may want to poke your head into and see - lots of knowledgeable peeps over there.
    http://garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lkadams View Post
    Oof that's a lot of juice! Was the welder a good deal, or do you really need something that heavy duty? What are you going to be welding?

Here is another forum you may want to poke your head into and see - lots of knowledgeable peeps over there.
    http://garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30
    Well, yes. The welder was a good deal. I weld Aluminum, Magnesium, Stainless, etc. Sometimes I see half inch aluminum and is always nice to know you have the flexibility and controls this welder has to offer. I realize it is a bit overkill...

I'll check out the link to that forum, I have already visited several like-others but don't recall being on that one.

Thanks for the post!

User Manual - Lincoln Square Wave Tig 355_Page_09.jpg
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 01-05-2013 at 03:15 PM.

What else is on the main panel? 200 is a decent service if you don't have a pool pump and 10 tons of cooling. You may be able to carve out 120A for the garage if you don't run a electric dryer while welding. Personally, I went with an inverter tig to save the amps for A/C and my mill but you already have the welder so...

I thought so too. My a/c is only 4 tons and we don't run it often here in Southern California, no pool or spa. I normally only use one heavy piece of equipment at a time, sold my milll and lathe and all the support tooling, big mistake. Once we figure it all out, I'll update this post for the next 'crazy guy'...

I installed a 400 amp service when I built the country garage. Fortunately in the "sticks" the Co-Op that supplies our power are a reasonable bunch and installed another transformer on the property for a nominal charge (for something like $200). I have a Lincoln MIG welder that works off of 220 and draws about 50 amps. Played with the idea of a TIG but really don't need it for the work I do.

You got a real work horse there and one that many would be very envious to own, me included.

Good luck!

Tom
    Last edited by sithot; 01-05-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The Female End...

Follow up photos of the "Female connector" to the large male connector that's attached to my welder....

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

A couple of photos of the power lines from the pole to the header on the roof of my house...

Power Cables from Pole to Roof Header - Photo 1.jpg

...smaller gauge compared to the wires at the plug of the welder.

Power Cables from Pole to Roof Header - Photo 3.jpg

I know is difficult to compare without a scale reference, but believe me, my power lines are noticeably smaller. Wow!

DSC00775.jpg
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 02-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 914-6gt View Post
    A couple of photos of the power lines from the pole to the header on the roof of my house...

Power Cables from Pole to Roof Header - Photo 1.jpg

...smaller gauge compared to the wires at the plug of the welder.

Power Cables from Pole to Roof Header - Photo 3.jpg

I know is difficult to compare without a scale reference, but believe me, my power lines are noticeably smaller. Wow!

DSC00775.jpg
    It appears you are trying to burn down your house and blow out the power to your block. I bet the neighbors love you...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    It appears you are trying to burn down your house and blow out the power to your block. I bet the neighbors love you...
    Yes, we may see fireworks. I'm fixing a video camera at the transformer on the pole, before sparking the TIG. We'll see what happens...

PS: Please don't tell my wife, I cannot imagine what will go through her head if she sees some of these pictures, specially the one pix with my hand holding the 3 wires. r2d2 is not going to be happy.
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 02-28-2013 at 10:55 AM.