Thread: Has anyone ever mounted a Stinger style exhaust ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Question Has anyone ever mounted a Stinger style exhaust ?

I am about to replace my complete exhaust. I was about to go with a dual muffler from Devil.....but I went through the ElevenPart (http://www.elevenparts.com/index2.php?f=home) inventory and saw this :
    Name:  elevenp13.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  139.3 KB

Anyone has experienced this on a 911 ?

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Xavier,

So far I have encountered three separate 911s that had Stinger-style exhausts. See attached photos, please.

1. This black 911S has a "stinger", but this appears to be just a simple pair of pipes that come together in the middle with a quite abrupt transition to a constant cross-section, rear-facing single pipe, but since this a track machine exclusively, it is unmuffled, very loud and therefore unsuitable for the street. I would have to question the effectiveness of this style of "stinger"and whether it helps horsepower and throttle response at all.....seems primarily to be a weight saving measure. Owner is from the Seattle area, picture taken at Infineon Raceway at CSRG, Oct. '12.

2. The blue '70 911 John Wilhoit's personal car. John W. owns and runs Wilhoit Restorations in Los Angeles and always conducts a really enjoyable and informative open house in conjunction with the LA Lit show on the first weekend in March. (As an aside, I recommend you give some serious thought to coming over and spending a few days at this event - not too late to book flights & rooms at the LAX Hilton). Anyway, John's car has a 3.2 Carrera motor that makes 262 HP at the rear wheels and the titanium home-made exhaust sounds fabulous......a deep baritone bellow. Obviously more thought has gone into this installation and you could discuss it with John if you come visit in March.

3. This black 1964 911 is one of the two first 911s to be delivered to the US and the first 911 to ever win a race ( first in Class at the 1966 Daytona 24 hours ). After it served as a Brumos customer demo car it was sold to Jack Ryan of Atlanta who had the Pompano Beach, Florida Porsche dealer prepare the car for racing.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 06-06-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

John, Thank you for the words and the pics. I beleive the Stinger like exhaust proposed by ElevenParts is a mix of the 1 and 2. You will note there are 1 silencer on each side, between the headers and the "muffler like". ElevenParts seems to be a very serious company and clain 5 to 10 HP increase ans 101db.

Unfortunatly I am too busy those days to come over. But for sure, as I plan to get a 10days USA roadtrip in 2014, I will note the address of John Wilhoits.

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I think Duel in the Netherlands makes a Stinger that is supposed to make more power than megaphones. Also the 901 Shop in Florida has one for racing applications.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    I think Duel in the Netherlands makes a Stinger that is supposed to make more power than megaphones. Also the 901 Shop in Florida has one for racing applications.
    Thanks Max.

"DUEL Exhaust System

Due to the ever more demanding noise restrictions across the circuits in Europe, DUEL developed a new exhaust system that can be driven with or without a silencer and still gives an even better power output than the factory megaphones. This resulted in a power increase of 35% against the best silent race or aftermarket exhaust we’ve tested on our dyno.

The DUEL exhaust system comes with headers, linking pipes, silencer and mounting bracket.

The open pipe replaces the silencer only, without any change needed on the carburettors.

The system is available in a 2.0L or 3.0L configuration. € POA"

Name:  Duel_025.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  209.7 KB

I have sent them an email, asking for more information, and if it could run on 3.2 with carbs.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407