Thread: Pmo carbs ... Who's running them?

Pmo carbs ... Who's running them?

Hey guys ... So I'm back to thinking about my build. I'm debating on running pmo carbs on my 3.6 993 engine again. I want the backdated look for my rsr build. If I could do mfi easily I would. I digress ... Who's done them and how did they work out. I know I'll get bad gas mileage but I've accepted that. I'll prob need to convert to mech lifter and a hot cam to get the most out of them. Will run a single cap dual plug dizzy from twin msd boxes. Do I need to change pistons or will the stock pistons work? With the high compression and no knock sensors how much will I have to retard the timing on pump gas? Any advice? Thanks guys.

I'm running 50mm PMO's on a '97 993 motor with Electromotive. It has the stock pistons but the electromotive is capable of retarding the ignition with the knock sensor.

'67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I am running PMO 46's on my 3.0 twin plug RSR motor. I have had them in for around 5 years now. They have been set and forget. Great throttle response throughout the rev range and good cold starting.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I run PMO Carburetors 46mm on my stock 3.2 with stock mototronics- improved torque and HP significantly - and far better sound ! this is relialable and needs a bit of practice ( needs warmup, no cold starter, and in low rpms have to be smooth on the throttle)

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Thanks guys. So Chris is the only one with a 3.6 and carbs. I really want to stay away from the electromotive route as it kills the period look Im going for and that is half the reason I am debating on using carbs.

Tom - I assume your compression ratio is under the safe ratio so you dont need the knock detection. Has anyone run carbs on a higher compression motor with out sensors with no fuss on pump gas 93 octane and above?

Chris - Are you going to keep running the coil packs or eventually go back to a dizzy set up?

Will stock motronic pistons work with a higher lift cam or will I need to get a set of pistons with pockets? With a hotter cam will the stock hydraulic lifters work or are mech lifters in order? Seems like the cam spec dictates the rest. Is there a mild cam I can use and still use all the stock parts?

Is it possible to run the 993 motronic with carbs? Im kinda out of my element on this one. I have seen threads on guys trying to do MFI on a 3.6 but the money seems to be stupid expensive to complete. The EFI slide valves look good too and somewhat visually period correct. Problem is there 10K just for the set up minus ecu and extra bits from Rothsport.

I know this thread is starting to get out of the genre of the S forum … just looking for some different feedback and opinions … thanks guys.

I am running Mahle RSR pistons with flycut heads resulting in 10.5:1 CR. I have a twin plug modified SC Bosch distributor. No issues with detonation on 93 octane pump gas on the street. For insurance I use race gas at the track.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Good deal Tom. Thanks. I think my 993 3.6 comp will be about 10.5-10.8 to 1. All I use is 93 octane ... Specifically shell gas and have never gotten bad fuel. If yours is working well that gives hope. I'm hoping to be able to get away with stock pistons and a mild cam for now. Thanks.