Thread: Comfort in the numbers

Comfort in the numbers

While on the New Year’s Day tour a part in my old blue car did encounter a somewhat dramatic DNF…

While I was pressing a 55 MPH canyon turn all of a sudden it sounded like I ran my car into a running buzz saw!!!!! ...
    Then I noticed my speedo needed bouncing…
    My speedometer was SCREAMING at me like a child at the top of his lungs!!!!! ….

Eventually, at any speed over 40, the noise was SO loud I had to pull over, (losing the group I was running with) pulled the speedo, and unhook the cable.

Last Weds. I took my speedo over to North Hollywood Speedometer (I’m lucky that they're only a few miles from work) with them asking if I needed it that day.
    I said no, the next day would be fine… Thursday I picked it up and put it back in that night… all OK at about $185.

Numbers:
    - I told them that the odometer reading was VERY important to me and to make sure it didn’t change – NHS, no problem.

- For my own piece of mind I etched my VIN on the instrument body – Completely unnecessary with NHS but it made me feel better.

- When I picked up my speedo from NHS the technician told me that my speedo had been in the shop about 10 years before… and it had the date, technician’s name, and mileage all written (somewhere) inside the speedo…….. WOW, I had completely forgotten. When I checked my records, there it was………… duh…

- When I checked the instrument body for a place to etch my VIN I smiled at the date stamp – My April build 911 has in fact a 4/73 date stamp speedo.

………… comfort ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 01-06-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Very cool Chuck! Last year I took my gauges in to PA Speedo for some service. I was also very clear with them that I didn't want any odo numbers changed and I didn't want the exteriors of the gauges cleaned at all. When I got them back they were all perfectly clean in the glass and the precious ink date stamps were all in place for my 11/72 build car.

The folks at PA Speedo made me think that my request was pretty common.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Chuck... did they give you any detail on what caused your speedo to scream???

Lightbulb

Chuck... did they give you any detail on what caused your speedo to scream???
    The technician said the two input bushings (bronze?) were dry and scored....

He also said that if I hadn't had unhooked it, it would have probably froze the speedo and snapped the cable.... Therefore stopping the noise, but necessitating both a speedo rebuild and a new cable......
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck,

you can just change the inside part you know....you don't need to change the whole cable...

Marge...

CEO of the Best early 911 parts store in Southern California

www.Schnellautosports.com

you can just change the inside part you know....you don't need to change the whole cable...
    Yep marge.... I refer to the inside part as the cable, and the outside part the housing...

FWIW, it's not the easiest job in the world to change the (inside) cable on a 915 if it's not broken in two pieces, therefore able to be pulled out on either end.....
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter