Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 Sport Seats

2.4 Sport Seats

OK, I've tried to do some research here, but I'm seeing conflicting things. Can someone educate me on what the proper seats are for the E and F series cars? I thought they changed the headrest to the peanut shape in 72, so shouldn't those cars with sport seats have them too? I've seen several cars, like the Gemini CPR '73S with the non-peanut sport seats. I ask because I have a set from a '71E that I'd like to restore and put in my '73S. Would that be incorrect?

I can't help with an absolute, but my '73S (11/72 build) has original delivery sport seats with peanut headrests.

Keep in mind that while CPR does excellent work, their cars are not always 100% correct when it comes down to the minutia.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

jc4me2,
    do you have leather -> D-Shape
    leatherette w Basketweave -> Peanut
    Corduroy/houndstooth??

Mine are leather peanuts. I'm not sure that the "leather -> D-Shape" is actually true.

Here are a few recent headrest threads:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...aped-headrests
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...s-from-Soterik
    Last edited by kentf14; 01-07-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

My '73E leatherette's are peanut.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

R Gruppe #631
    Early 911S Registry #1825

1973E Coupe

If you have not considerd this already, the other two things you may have to consider for 100% correctness are the seat material and the locking bases. On the material, most of the '71 sport seats I see have perforated bolsters that you will not see in the '73 seats. '73 seats have smooth-ish bolsters as pictured above. The inserts went from basketweave in '71 to smooth-ish in '73 again as pictured above. I'm pretty sure pepita inserts went unchanged between those years. Of course if you are getting them recovered the material part will not be an issue. As for the bases, at some point in the '73MY Porsche went to double locking bases while the locking bases for '71 are definitely single lockers. So if you have a later production '73 you may want to check on that.
    Last edited by nickb4; 01-07-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickb4 View Post
    If you have not considerd this already, the other two things you may have to consider for 100% correctness are the seat material and the locking bases. On the material, most of the '71 sport seats I see have perforated bolsters that you will not see in the '73 seats. '73 seats have smooth-ish bolsters as pictured above. The inserts went from basketweave in '71 to smooth-ish in '73 again as pictured above. I'm pretty sure pepita inserts went unchanged between those years. Of course if you are getting them recovered the material part will not be an issue. As for the bases, at some point in the '73MY Porsche went to double locking bases while the locking bases for '71 are definitely single lockers. So if you have a later production '73 you may want to check on that.
    +1 >>>>>>>
    Registry member No.773

I'd like to chime in and comment a bit. I have a 72 T with the sport seats, vinyl, peanut headrest, single locker base. I have a spare set of seats, double locker, withe the D headrests. I'm not sure what should be on the spare set, but need to ask about single vs double locker. Is the double locker for 73 as are the D head rests or. The spare set is also vinyl.
    Thanks,
    Rusty

I can't vouch for a '73 but I have a May production '72 with leather seats and the D-shaped headrests.

JR

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    My understanding is that both headrest types were used interchangeably depending on what stock was at hand. Not uncommon with Porsche - much like the tool kit tools. The RS book, also states this practice. My previous 73S had D shaped, my 72T had peanut shaped and my current 72S has D-shaped. All were original to the respective cars. With the current prices for genuine headrests - be thankful that you have a pair! :-)
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306