Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sold my 993 and bought a '72T - Thinking about growing some dreads

Sold my 993 and bought a '72T - Thinking about growing some dreads

Hello all

Pulled the trigger last weekend and bought a 1972 911T. Found the car on Ebay, and talked the seller in ending the auction early. The car is a 3 owner car, with two being in the same family in Davidson NC. Originally was a light yellow color, and the son got the car and restored it as a red RS replica. Car was originally bought new in Mooresville NC at the Porsche dealership (anyone remember that?) and was owned by Eddie Knox, mayor of Charlotte at the time. It has only been driven 34k miles in its entire life, and only shows rust in the driver side battery tray. I had the car shipped from Springfield MO.

I am looking forward to getting it fine tuned to my taste. Most likely will sell the 2.4 that is in it now sometime in the future and build a 3.2 to replace it. Looking for performance parts like strut brace, roll bar, PMO 40 carbs, etc etc. Let me know if you have any of that stuff to sell.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Congrats on your new purchase. While the overall performance can't match your 993, the "soul" of this car will be noticeable. Have fun getting to know the car!

My $0.02, don't sell the 2.4 if it's original! Keep it with the car. If you've got the original engine there is significant $$$ value in keeping it with the chassis.

Also, are you sure that's a 34K mile car and not 134K?
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Welcome aboard! . . .

Quote Originally Posted by whatizname View Post
    . . . Hello all . . . bought a 1972 911T . . . originally bought new in Mooresville NC at the Porsche dealership (anyone remember that?) . . .
    Hmm --- I don't have any dealer listed in Mooresville, like, ever

NC dealers I know of are . . .

Triangle Porsche + AUDI, in Durham (125 mi away)
    Autohaus Charlotte, in Charlotte (30)
    Valley Volkswagen, in Fayetteville (160)
    Guilford Porsche + AUDI, in Greensboro (75)

Do you have any address info for this Mooresville store?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Aaron Winans is here: http://www.eurowerks.us/defaultNew.html

"Fair fabricator" They do nice engines too.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Keep in mind this was 1972 that he went to the dealer in Mooresville. Anyone ever hear about that dealer existing?

Quote Originally Posted by kentf14 View Post
    Congrats on your new purchase. While the overall performance can't match your 993, the "soul" of this car will be noticeable. Have fun getting to know the car!

My $0.02, don't sell the 2.4 if it's original! Keep it with the car. If you've got the original engine there is significant $$$ value in keeping it with the chassis.

Also, are you sure that's a 34K mile car and not 134K?
    The car had the title with it what said it had the 34 k miles. You can tell it is a low mileage car by the looks of the interior dash pieces. Everything from the wiper switch to the key switch and window risers has a very crisp feel to them. Like it was not used all that much. Plus the guy I bought it from came very highly recommended.

I would add that you visit with Aaron at Zuffenhaus/Monroe, NC, as Tom indicated above. Aaron just did some mechanicals on my '72, and it's great!

Quote Originally Posted by whatizname View Post
    The car had the title with it what said it had the 34 k miles. You can tell it is a low mileage car by the looks of the interior dash pieces. Everything from the wiper switch to the key switch and window risers has a very crisp feel to them. Like it was not used all that much. Plus the guy I bought it from came very highly recommended.
    The car looks like it has had a fair amount of work done on it, engine interior paint, bright work etc. I'm just sayin' that I be wary of the low mileage if it's only on the title. The speedo rolls over after 99K, or the guages were refreshed and reset... you never know. You'd need a series of maintenance records with mileage indicated to be sure that the 34K is legit. My car said 3K on the title when I bought it, but records showed 103K.
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade, it looks like a fun car. If it is really a 34K car you may want to reconsider your hot-rod plans. As Nickb4 said, a low milage yellow '72 with sport seats is indeed rare.
    Keep us updated on your progress!

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Here is the link to the original listing on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item27ce43cc83
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Have some fun with it...Hot rod the snot out of it. Make it the car or your dreams.

I have a 73T that I am going to have fun with as soon as the 67S is completed. The 67S has been a learning experience in the finer details of classic Porsches. Some good, some bad. The 73 will be refreshing in that I wont really care what is 'correct'. The 73t will be what we want...might add A/C...maybe all leather interior using..NON-OE (God forbid) materials. It will have a G50 and a hot rod 3.0....anyway, avoid the slippery slope of what is 'correct' and have fun. Life is too short to try to please the next potential buyer. End rant.