Thread: RHD vs. LHD

RHD vs. LHD

Ok, I am confussed again (I am the one who asked about "Mid-Year" vs. Model Year) anyway here goes. RHD refers to "right hand drive" and LHD refers to "left hand drive" correct? Ok now follow me on this, so "right hand drive" means steering wheel is on the right hand side and has nothing to do with what side of the road you drive on correct? Now if I am correct so far why do sellers of Euro H4's assemblies say that they are for LHD cars and when you look at the lenses they direct light towards the left of oncoming cars for USA. Here is what Sierra Madre is selling and I was told it was for LHD cars. http://www.sierramadrecollection.com..._detail&p=2121
    Does not indicate in the listing it is for LHD car but I called and Jorge said they were, look at the lens. Thanks for your help!
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

RHD cars (ie as you state, where the steering is on the rh side) are designed for countries where they drive on the left - meaning that the driver sits nearer the centre of the road) & LHD cars are the opposite.

Most of Europe (the UK being the exception) drive on the right side of the road & hence use LHD cars.

Although you would think that the 'window' in the headlamp lens deflects the beam to that side when the lights are dipped, it actually deflects to the other side !

Thus, the H4 lens shown in your Sierra Madre link is for LHD cars driving on the right side of the road.

An even bigger confusion arises here in the UK where the majority of early 911's/912's are LHD (mainly imported from the US) although we drive on the left & they have to be equipped with RHD lenses !!!
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I agree with Andy. My LHD H4 lenses all look like the SMC picture and they create a beam that is flat across and angles up on the right (road shoulder) side.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Although you would think that the 'window' in the headlamp lens deflects the beam to that side when the lights are dipped, it actually deflects to the other side !
    Thanks Andy, so the little "pie cut" in the lens reflects to the opposite side. That is what was confusing to me.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!