Thread: FS: @Pelican - 1958 356a Cab

FS: @Pelican - 1958 356a Cab

NB: I've also posted this on the 356 registry, but since there's an active (and arguably more vocal) 356 fan-base here too I thought I'd solicit input from this forum as well.

The links below pertain to a listing posted just before the Holidays. No affiliation with me.

Aside from wanting to alert the group, I'm interested in collective thoughts re: valuation. My initial reaction was based on the extremely frothy market for these cabs, this car seems like a [too-] fantastic deal. Why? Obviously this could be explained by condition, but if there are other reasons to which I'm simply ignorant, I'm eager to be educated.

From the posting:

Porsche Certificate of Authenticity available and included with car. Chassis ID # 151241 Engine #72402

Numbers seem to match, but I couldn't located any detailed history for this VIN.

Original posting:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...cabriolet.html

Embedded link to more photos:

http://smithmotorworks.com/item--195...eoriginal.html

Ed
    Ed Nichols
    '72T Targa #9112110607
    Early 911S Registry #1810
    '62 356B (T6) Coupe #202248
    356 Registry #31913

Hmm

Don't normally like to comment on cars I'm not buying . . . ones that I haven't seen in the metal myself, even less so

But, since you're asking, Ed . . . here's some things I'm thinking about

Tough to see clearly --- especially w/ black . . . but the door gaps + fit look off. Open cars are horrible this way --- Porsches this old, especially . . . but 'factory' gaps on a 356A are 2-3mm

The close-up shot of the engine cover shows a poor grill fit. Lid gap looks a touch catty-wumpus, as well

Lower rear under-body shot shows typical/crappy re-finish at the rear body-panel edge . . . filler + paint + prep + attention. Also shows that a 'camber compensator' 's been fitted. Not available 'till '60. Also a bit problematic, functionally. Then there's the finishes, tie-wraps, etc, etc

Engine compartment . . . . hhhh. Coil + air-cleaners + finishes . . .

Nothing fatal . . . . but no shots of the pan + longs + battery box, either. There's also the matter of numbers + date codes . . . hood, engine lid, top bows, doors all have build numbers that need to match --- these panels are built for the car they come on. And instruments, senders, wheels --- even hub caps . . . all have date codes. Original panel cars --- open or not . . . w/ matching motors + trans, numbers + dates are spectacularly rare . . . even as wrecks needing restoration . . . and tend to be priced accordingly

Pretty car + looks like a decent-enough driver --- a car to use + have fun in. Otherwise? . . . I would figure on an-almost-six-figure re-do --- assuming all the bits are present + serviceable . . . if you wanted to re-restore/show/go bananas

And I've heard of G K Restorations, too . . . . but that doesn't mean much, here . . . going by the things I'm seeing in these few photographs . . . sitting in my office

HtH

PS Keep in mind . . . IMO? . . . 356 is the very deep-end of Porschedom
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-11-2013 at 09:38 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Assessing a 356

Here are two other A Cabs, offered for sale at the last Phoenix Show --- see post #12 + 14 . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t=phoenix+2012

Once someone's seen + appreciated some of the more-diabolical aspects of these cars --- they tend to show them off when they sell the car

So, when a Seller doesn't show them off? . . . . I'm afraid of what to expect
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Highly, very highly doubtful this was done by GK. WAAAY too many details that are oh so wrong. Not knowing (but fearing) what lies underneath that shiny paint, I would say that is top dollar for that car. I would run over it with a magnet. I will bet you a beer (or 2) it will not stick in many places. There are so many details wrong with the black car you'd likely be better off buying the stripped one in Rick's post and starting from that. You'll save money in the end.

~J~
    air cooled only