Thread: Latest issue of OCTANE magazine

Latest issue of OCTANE magazine

Picked up the January '13 issue, # 115, of OCTANE magazine today.........the current one on the news stands with the red Ferrari F 50 on the cover.

Starting on page 102 is a 9-page article about the Porsche museum, and mentions that only a small portion of the more than 500 cars assigned to the museum are ever on display at any one time. We knew that, but the article talks about some of the other museum cars which have all finally been assembled under one roof and are awaiting their turn at being displayed.

I found it interesting.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Thanks for the tip, John! [I]Octane[I] is always a good read -- even if the cars featured do tend to be somewhat out of reach to many of us mere mortals...

Speaking of the upper-reaches of our car hobby, this past Thursday I finagled an invite to a private track-day at Laguna Seca. I think that you might have enjoyed seeing many of the machines being exercised -- even if the temperatures never got much above 50 degrees Fahrenheit!
    Attached Images Attached Images

And a few more frames -- because I know that you've got a thing for red cars...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! I'm guessing the sounds were pretty good too.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Thanks for the photos David, an absolutely mouth-watering lot !

The maroon #173 SWB is Bobby Rahal's ex-Ferrari - I recognize it by the front license plate which it has worn since it's initial sale, and by the slightly distorted, not-quite-straight asymmetrical grill shape, and one of the headlights which is actually a few millimeters higher than the other. Typically Scaglietti. My own old SWB which I owned in the mid-60s when I lived in Chicago had similar sheet metal defects when viewed from pretty much all angles, but yet every time I mentioned it to people much more familiar with Ferraris than I was at the time, all I ever received were knowing smiles and superior condescending attitudes which to me always implied........" you poor fool, don't you know it's Italian and that they're all like that, that's what makes them so charming", but I know for a fact that #173 is not my old car.

Cold or not, must have been a smashing day.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers