Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuch rsr finish

fuch rsr finish

Looking for some input from the gurus , currently refinishing a 15 inch fuch as a spare for my rsr rep. I decided to take the wheel and sand blast off the finish to get a rsr rough finish . Now i used a heavy grit sand and std garage compressor and got a good finish that i then coated with gibbs .
    Question is is the finish to rough and if so is there a recommend grit size to get the correct rough finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Bump for an answer
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

John:

I can't tell much from the pic you posted. Show us some more shots, with high resolution maybe. It may be difficult to keep these clean and free of discoloring, but it sure is an economical way to get wheels that can be used on a driver.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

John,

As Gib stated it is hard to tell much detail from your photo. I can see what appears to be some difference in texture at the 9 o'clock point of the rim. If the texture is too rough you could use baking soda to soften and get a consistent finish. The Gibbs would work as would Vaseline. Either would require regular re-applications.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

After working with my plating company, we decided that the media finish of glass beads were too rough so he blasted then acid etched and it left a smooth frosted look, followed by anodizing. I have done many trials and found sand to be too rough, but recycled crushed glass (New Age Media, fine) left a nice finish, all be it raw and unprotected, but it looked good on a budget.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    After working with my plating company, we decided that the media finish of glass beads were too rough so he blasted then acid etched and it left a smooth frosted look, followed by anodizing. I have done many trials and found sand to be too rough, but recycled crushed glass (New Age Media, fine) left a nice finish, all be it raw and unprotected, but it looked good on a budget.
    thanks for the feed back guys , hard to load a high res on the site , so as i have never seen a rsr wheel in the flesh it's hard to judge . the closest thing i have is a set of fox lina rsr finish and they are barely any finish at all. i think this is to harsh and will try the glass bead next to mellow it down.
    this is a spare only so my test rim . just finishing with gibbs will be fine in the trunk. the next set is the chrome 16inch turbos , and with those i will gun over a silk/satin finish .
    is the edge on a true rsr polished or raw ?
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

John,
    The RSR finish isn't bead blasted. It is anodized over the rough forging. The closest non anodize that I have seen is with paint. Experiment with some of the aluminum paints. One of the "bare alu" paints is very close. I would polish the lip (to help with mounting marks) and paint the rough finish.Then paint the black background. The bare blasting will always be a problem keeping clean. I have done this paint method on some cast wheels with very good results.
    Hope this helps.
    H

Thanks Harvey , i will try and advise
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

FWIW I used #30 glass beads at 60psi. Soda might be a better medium.

The finish is rough, but the peening is 'clean' without apparent porosity - I've also treated them with Gibbs and hope they will have some longevity. I tried the acid finish (using undiuted 'aluminum brightener' flouric acid?) but couldn't achieve a consistent finish - too much mottling.

At some time I will buy a set of 7/8s directly in the States and directly ship to Harvey to work some magic (that way I only pay shipping once ). But in the mean time I'm really happy with the results.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    FWIW I used #30 glass beads at 60psi. Soda might be a better medium.

The finish is rough, but the peening is 'clean' without apparent porosity - I've also treated them with Gibbs and hope they will have some longevity. I tried the acid finish (using undiuted 'aluminum brightener' flouric acid?) but couldn't achieve a consistent finish - too much mottling.

At some time I will buy a set of 7/8s directly in the States and directly ship to Harvey to work some magic (that way I only pay shipping once ). But in the mean time I'm really happy with the results.
    great i have a stock of that glass bead so will spray over on the weekend and see how it finishes .
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook